Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Lipoly or NiMH

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 12:55 AM
e-flight22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipoly or NiMH

i have a 1800mah NiMH for my ZagiTazz and am wondering what is the equivalent Lipoly pack or better? im currently using the zagi brushless motor, and a jeti 40amp brushless esc. how do u calculate what the equivalent Lipoly pack is ???

also what do the numbers mean for the Lipoly packs, for example when u see one that is 3300mah 3cell 15C, another at 12C, another at 20C. ive never purchased one and i rly dont know anything about them, im totally lost, i feel like a beginner again. nicads made sense to me but now im rly confused. ????

also if i was to get a Lipoly pack id need a new charger, any recommendations as to what charger or a few chargers that u have had great experience with or would recommend. i have looked at Lipoly packs between 2200mah-4400mah so somewhere in there is what im thinking.

thanks for all your help
Old 06-26-2006, 11:22 AM
jdetray

Default RE: Lipoly or NiMH

What is the voltage of your NiMH pack? That is an important piece of information that you omitted.

Each lipo cell has a nominal voltage of 3.7V. So 2-cell lipo pack is 7.4V, and a 3-cell pack is 11.1V. Right off the charger, the pack voltage will be higher than that, about 8.4V and 12.6V for 2- and 3-cell lipo packs.

The capacity of a lipo is specified in mAh (milli-Amp hours), the same as for NiMH packs. The larger the capacity, the long run time you'll have but the larger (and heavier) the battery will be.

The C rating tells you the amount of current the pack can deliver. Multiply the pack's capacity times its "C" rating.

For example, lets look at a 3300 mAh pack.

If the pack is rated at 15C, the maximum current it can deliver is:
3300 x 15 = 49500 mA = 49.5 A

If the pack is rated at 12C, the maximum current it can deliver is:
3300 x 12 = 39600 mA or 39.6 A

If the pack is rated at 20C, the maximum current it can deliver is:
3300 x 20 = 66000 mA or 66 A

- Jeff
Old 06-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Gigaah

Default RE: Lipoly or NiMH

Keep in mind also Lipoly max charge rate is 1C(or around 1 hour).