Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Battery pack testing

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:11 AM
gjnev
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery pack testing

Anybody know how to test the individual cells in an 1800 mAH, 9.6V NiMH battery pack.
I know that something is wrong as the pack gets hot enough to melt the shrink wrap during charge.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Chocks_Away

Default RE: Battery pack testing

Hi,
If you want to test any individual cell in the pack, then there's only one way to do it unfortunately, and that's to remove the shrinkwrap & probe each cell with a multimeter seperately.

Also......
Is the pack getting hot when being charged because you are charging it up too fast at a high current ?
i.e in less than 1 hour ?
Old 07-07-2006, 06:57 PM
gjnev
My Feedback: (1)

Fortunately, the high heat removed the shrink wrap. I did remove ALL of the welded cell "jumpers". I then did a voltage check of each cell with a small bulb as a "load" .
All cells registered about the same voltage (1.2 - 1.35).

The charge current was 1.6A in contrast to the recommended current of 1 C (1800 mA).

I have four other 9.6V - 1800 mAH NiMH batteries and none of them exhibit this behavior.

Hope this helps
gjnev@comcast
Old 07-08-2006, 03:07 AM
Chocks_Away

Testing with a bulb isn't very accurate anyway, you need a multimeter to see properly the condition of each cell.

The charge current should be ok at that level.

Is this a new pack that has got hot from the first charge, or is it an older one that was ok before.

Also is this pack identical to the other ones, or is it one that just has the same spec as the others you have ?