Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

3 cell lipo reading 8.4 v can I save it

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

3 cell lipo reading 8.4 v can I save it

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 04:59 AM
firefightered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 cell lipo reading 8.4 v can I save it

Hi ya'll. I have a new commonscence 2000 mAH 3 cell lipo I have only had a couple of days. Bought it new with my new mini super sportster ( GREAT PLANE ). powered it with a Frio 1012. The Frio turned out to be bad and burned up in 2.5 min.[:@] Took Frio back to LHS and got it replaced. Tried to recharge the battery and it would not charge[:@]. Checked voltage 8.4 volts not the min. 9 volts.[&o] Is there anyway I can salvage this battery I think the first Frio Frioed my battery[X(] By the way the new Frio works GREAT
Old 08-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Chocks_Away

Default RE: 3 cell lipo reading 8.4 v can I save it

It's quite possible, and more that likely that it has had it.

I take it that your charger will not initialise a charge to get it going because it senses the low voltage ?

If so, a popular method of kick starting it is to charge it for a short while on a normal nicad cycle just enough to bring it above the minimum 9v
Then try starting a regular lipo cycle to see if it will continue, but make sure you keep a close eye on it while it's charging to make sure.

If it will recover from this low voltage state, then you may find that it will have lost some of it's capacity, -not guaranteed, but don't be suprised.
I'll be more suprised if it's still useable

Hope this helps you out, cheers, Craig.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:10 PM
rjbarthel
My Feedback: (2)

I had a new kokam 3 cell 1500 pack that was lost for 2 days in a downed zagi. I was a near nothing for voltage when it was found . I took the bat to my MKIII and it kept stopping the charge . but I kept restarting the charge and I noticed that the voltage was slowly comming back up . I would let it sit for afew min between charge hits and after several hrs of this I got the bat to just over 9v. and then went into a normal charging . that was 2 yrs ago and between the 2 packs there is no differance in performance at all . I know only because I marked it as to witch of the 2 it is now anymore . so I myself have seen that they can sometimes be broght back . I dont suggest anyone do this! but its what I did .
Old 08-13-2006, 08:39 AM
firefightered

Thanks for the replies guys! hopefully I can save this pack. it would be a shame to spend so much money and not be able to even get 1 flight out of it[&o]
Old 08-13-2006, 10:43 AM
firefightered

Well guys I figured it out[&o] I have 1 cell completely dead. I tried to " shock" it back to life but it keeps loosing voltage almost as fast as I was putting it in. I guess my options are: 1 throw it away[&o]. 2 turn it into a 2 cell. or 3 find someone who has an old commonsence 2000 mAH they no longer want and build it back into a 3 cell. so if you all know of anyone with one, please have them contact me. my plane will fly on 2 cell but I like to fly aerobatic, for that it needs the extra cell. Thanks again for the input. I'm going to wash my car. It's nice having a job were you get paid to sleep and wash your own car
Old 08-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Chocks_Away

Aw, thats a shame, but at least its worth having a go, and now you know what condition it is in. []
Old 08-18-2006, 05:32 PM
runaround

I've thought about making this its own topic, but I've purchased two Ultrafly motors over the last 6 months and they are both worse than useless. One was a D/13/32 with a 2:1 gear drive for an SU-27 foamie. On it's maiden voyage, just as the airplane was beginning a climb the cheap plastic gearbox broke and uloaded the prop. Luckily I was able to save the plane. Purchased another gearbox, and this time, 5 minutes into the flight the gearbox broke at the propshaft bearing retainer. Even when it was working the motor was very weak. I bought a HiMax motor for it and it rocks!

I also purchased a B/06/12 and Radix 3D combo from Tower real cheap. (I guess there's a reason they're selling Ultrafly motors so cheap) Got about 15 minutes of flight time out of it before the motor started making a squealing noise and apparently went into a high drain condition because it destroyed (swelled) the 2s LiPo that was attached to it.

I will NEVER buy an Ultrafly motor ever again.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:51 AM
bkpilot

wow..I got really good experience with my ultrafly motor/gearbox I bought from TH... I guess is a matter of luck..