Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

My first post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Mister_Scary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first post!

I seem to have stumbled into the world of electric RC and I must say I'm blown away!
I just clicked on one of the advertisements for those micro helicopters and now I'm going to have to get one of those too.
Now that I've seen the videos for the micro-copter, I think I just wasted $45.00 on a Dragonfly I bought (still on the way) on Ebay before learning that it only goes up/down and left/right???? Oh well. It will look cool sitting on the shelf.

But the main reason of my post............I just bought one of those flying boats and I'd like to get some extra batteries for it.
The battery that came with it is a 1350mAh 11.1v 3S1P. Can someone explain what 3S1P means? Also, would I be able to "upgrade" to a bigger (as in power) battery that's basically the same size/weight?
I'd also like to know where the best deals on these batteries can be found. I did a search for the specs on my battery and the results were not very good. Hardly anyone listed batteries that had the 3S1P at the end and there were different things like (10C) and (12C) etc. and my head started spinning at that point.

Any help would be great!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: My first post!

I would guess that it is 3SLP and not 1P? It sounds like an 11.1 volt 3 cell LiPo (Lithium Polymer) That is about as powerful volt wise as it gets, you can however get more mah's that will allow you to fly longer. Try looking at the Thunder Power 11.1 volt 2100mah 3 cell LiPo - Runs about $75 or $65 if you find a discount. They have a higher continous output rate, that is what the 12c and 15c is. The Thunder Power battery has a 15c output continuous with a 20c max. burst. Take a look at Horrizon Hobby, they have it.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:12 PM
Mister_Scary

ORIGINAL: fliprob17

I would guess that it is 3SLP and not 1P?
No, it's a one. The tiny print on the bottom says:
"Max charging current 1.3A Max discharging current 15.6A
Max charging voltage 12.6V Lowest discharging voltage 9.0V"
Old 08-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Fliprob17

I did a quick search on the 3S1P....there are a bunch of companies that make that type of battery and they all appear to be a 11.1 volt 3 cell LiPo.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:06 AM
jdetray

3S1P is shorthand for "3 in Series, 1 in Parallel."

It means your lipo battery consists of 1 bank of 3 cells in series. The "parallel" in this case is somewhat meaningless, since there is only one bank of cells.

It starts to make more sense when you have more than one bank of cells.

If you connect two identical 3S1P packs in parallel, you would then have a 3S2P battery, or two 3-cell banks in parallel. This will have the same voltage (11.1V) as a 3S1P battery but twice the current capacity.

If you take three 4-cell packs and connect them in parallel, the result is a 4S3P battery. This will have the same voltage (14.8V) as a 4-cell battery but three times the current capacity.

Does that help?

- Jeff
Old 09-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Mister_Scary

ORIGINAL: jdetray

3S1P is shorthand for "3 in Series, 1 in Parallel."

It means your lipo battery consists of 1 bank of 3 cells in series. The "parallel" in this case is somewhat meaningless, since there is only one bank of cells.

It starts to make more sense when you have more than one bank of cells.

If you connect two identical 3S1P packs in parallel, you would then have a 3S2P battery, or two 3-cell banks in parallel. This will have the same voltage (11.1V) as a 3S1P battery but twice the current capacity.

If you take three 4-cell packs and connect them in parallel, the result is a 4S3P battery. This will have the same voltage (14.8V) as a 4-cell battery but three times the current capacity.

Does that help?

- Jeff
Got it and thanks!
Would you happen to know from my battery info, what "C" it is? Like 10C or 12C etc.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Fliprob17

Got it and thanks!
Would you happen to know from my battery info, what "C" it is? Like 10C or 12C etc.
The "C" is the curent capacity of a cell in the pack.

If a battery's capacity is rated 2000mAh,
then
1C rate means recharging or discharging battery at current of 2000 mA, e.g 2A
2C rate means 4A current
3C rate means 6A current

10C rate means 20A current.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:28 PM
jdetray

There is no way to tell the C rating from the info you've provided.

The C rating tells you the maximum current the pack can provide. For example, if your 1320 mAh pack is a 10C pack, it can provide:

1320 x 10 = 13200 mA = 13.2A

If your 1320 mAh pack is a 15C pack, it can provide:

1320 x 15 = 19800 mA = 19.8A

If you try to draw more current than the pack can provide, the pack voltage will drop more than normal under load, resulting in reduced performance and possibly causing the ESC's low voltage cutoff (LVC) to kick in, ending your flight prematurely.

Thus, it is important to know both the current requirement of your power system and the C rating of your battery. Only then can you know if the battery is up to the task.

It is not uncommon for battery vendors to overstate the C rating of their packs, using an ideal discharge regime to make the number look better than it really is under actual flight conditions. You may want to assume that the real C rating of a pack is somewhat lower than what the vendor specifies.

- Jeff