Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Upgrading batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:32 AM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading batteries

Hey,

I've finally gotten around to buying a new battery for my old Windstar EP glider. The batteries I have in it right now are Ni-Cds, 6 cells. The writing on the cells says "RC-2400 1.2 Volts" And the battery wieghs about a pound even. The speed controler is'nt proportional (dont know if that makes a difference). And the motor is a Mabuchi 540 They've been sitting on a shelf for nearly 4 years so I doubt their any good at all.

Heres a link to a comperable new Ni-Cd battery. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXERB4]new nicd[/link]
Here's a pic of it if that helps. [link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/ArmedZagi/School/100_0869.jpg]Battery and esc[/link]

So, what options do I have for new batteries? I dont have a charger for lipos.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Upgrading batteries

All kinds of NiCd and NiMH technology out there, from Sanyo CP2400 NiCds to the latest 4300mAh NiMH technology in full SubC size. For similar capacity with some weight savings, take a look at 4/5 SubC size NiMH cells.

www.cheapbatterypacks.com
Old 10-30-2006, 01:10 PM
FMB42

Default RE: Upgrading batteries

Hi Armed, I let an 8 cell Ni-Cd AA set sit for about 8 yrs. This Sanyo pack still had about 3 volts showing! I cycled the set 3 times and still use it on an 8 yr old dirt buggy. The run time on this old pack is about 2/3s that of a new pack. I, as with all batteries, never charge these while un-attended and only use them in cars rather then boats or aircraft.