Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Need help with charging two LIPO at once...

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Need help with charging two LIPO at once...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 01:29 PM
walleye_gfa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with charging two LIPO at once...

Thanks in advance for reading lengthy post...

Looking to charge two lipos at once. I have TP 1350's (BCP) and the new 2200's (for the Rex). I realize of course that you can only charge like batteries but have questons on how to do so without killing $400 worth of battery equipment in the learning process...

The Triton says it will charge up to 4 lipo / lion cells I'm assuming that this is in parallel... so would I be able to make a harness something like [link=http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLAEC307]http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLAEC307[/link] and charge two packs at once or since it will only recognize up to 4 cells will this not be possible.

Also I have the TP-210 and the adapter so I can plug two batteries into it at once... I read that if you are going to charge two packs (in parallel ??) that you HAVE to have them setup to a balancer doue to voltage differences in the individual packs (as opposed to cells).

Anyway it looks to me that I would want to make a Deans harness in parallel as above and set the Triton to the max LIPO charge rate of 2500 mah (combined pack would be 4400 for example so its less than the new "1C" of the combined packs)... and that should do the trick... sound right ???

Also since the Triton wont go over 2500 mah and the 2200's are already charging at close to 1C I really wont gain a whole bunch from using the Triton to charge the larger batteries ???

If anyone has any resources that I can read I would appreciate the link, hate to ask questions that have probably been answered elsewhere but there seems t be very little documentation out there to maximize charging potential !!!

Thanks !!!!

Wally
Old 10-28-2006, 03:53 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Need help with charging two LIPO at once...

The 4S limit on the triton is for the series part of the packs and the capacity or number of paralelled packs would be relevent only when determining the rate and max capacity.

The parallel part of the packs will automatically balance and the 2 packs can be charged together as long as they have the same number of cells. Furthermore they will need to read the same voltage (be at the same state of charge) before hooking them together.

I hope this helps, balance is a seperate issue that definately should be at least checked.

If your 2 packs happen to be the same nominal voltage then they can be hooked with the connector you have linked (only if the resting voltage is the same) and then charged as one 3550 mah pack at any rate up to 3.5 amps.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Need help with charging two LIPO at once...

I would recommend a book on basic electronics concepts like series, parallel, and Ohm's Law to start with. This knowledge is invaluable in understanding the goings-on behind the scenes with electric flight.

The Triton will charge up to four cells connected in SERIES. That is + to -, + to -.

A simple rule of thumb is, if you discharge a number of packs in parallel, you can charge them in parallel. If you discharge them separately, then you must charge them separately.