Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

triton2 and triton JR

Old 11-23-2006, 05:31 AM
fayrwerks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default triton2 and triton JR

is there a difference between the triton JR and the Triton 2's performance? i'm really tight on budget now that's why leaning on buying the Triton JR the product video from Towerhobbies says they are almost the same.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:15 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: triton2 and triton JR

Depending upon what you need and how much power you require. Here's a few differnces that if doing certain batts will be meaningless, but to other users doing a slightly different job would make the triton2 necessary.

Higher power, higher output voltage,adjustable threshold for nickels,higher current, more memory locations, settings are just more configurable on the original or the triton 2.

If the batts you'll be doing fall within the jr's specs then going to the triton 2 would be of no benefit.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Mike Cohen
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK all, I have a question specifically about the Triton 2 and Triton Jr. I have
been using an Accucycle Elite and it had some features I guess I was expecting
the Triton Jr to have. The Triton Jr appears to be designed for 1C+ charging
only since it has a time-out feature at 1.5 hrs for NiCD and NiMH batteries that
can not be changed. This prevents less than 1C cycling. As I learned from this
list, NiMH packs for receiver and/or transmitter applications like .1C charges.
I have found that my NiCD also prefer .1C charges. So, my question is, on the
Triton Jr, am I missing something or is it really intended for the bigger, high
resistance flight type packs (for powering electric motors). The follow on
question would be if the Triton 2 has the same issue. Reading the specs on
Tower Hobbies website, it appears to be more flexible, like my Accucycle, but
before we go back to the hobby store, I wanted to ask.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:36 PM
guver

Your right about the JR, it can't do a slower charge without restarting repeatedly because of the time out.

The 2 doesn't have that problem and is adjustable or disableable. The 2 has even more features than the elite.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:40 PM
BINFORD

The safety timer can be shut of on the Triton Jr, goto Tower Hobbies, scroll down to the comments in the description.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAH9&P=ML

"Safety Timer On/Off" screen by pressing "ENTER". This will allow NiCd or NiMH batteries to be slow charged
Old 01-04-2008, 04:56 PM
guver

oops, yes they changed them. I wonder how you could tell the difference without powering it up?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:24 PM
KCJarman

I have tried in every way to change the timer .....[]....... and NO< YOU CAN NOT!!!! I am dealing with this problem as I write this... very frusterating... when it says you can slow change and you can not.....[:@]

If anyone has the answere please post up... I have tried holding battery type for 3 seconds.... there is NO SCREEN FOR CHANGING the timer. I have also pressed enter after starting the system..... It just trys to start the charge / discarge process.....
Old 01-05-2008, 02:45 AM
guver

oops, they changed them and the new ones can change timer.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:25 PM
arm2storm

try this: while charging nicd/nimh press batt/type button and scroll down to safety timer or before charging hold for 3 seconds batt/type button and menu should appear. You should find this on page 20 of your manual.

hope this helps
Old 02-17-2008, 01:22 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I have owned both and use them without incident.I currently am flying electrics as well and had some hesitation but it does lipos just fine up to 4 cell.lipos cant be charged at at a rate higher than 1C unless you use a123 batteries.I may use my junior for nimh and nicads and get a new charger with built in balancer for my lipo's. lipos derves and get alot of respect from me as they can be highly violatile if abused .my nicads and nimh are more forgiving and I can charge them at much higher rates.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 PM
tankertoad

Hey there - I ran into a problem with my Triton 2 that wasn't covered anywhere else. So, I figured I'd post it here to help with the overall knowledge base on the Triton chargers.

While trying to charge large capacity lipos, (5s1p 18.5v 5000 mah), I ran into a situation where the Triton would give me an "open circuit error". Their tech support guys at GP were helpful, even though they didn't answer my problem exactly, we figured it out together. It turns out that the normal balance charge adapters that don't have the deans plug, are only good up to 3 amps, which is what the Triton will charge up to a 3000 mah lipo. (They cycle from .1A up to the rated capacity you program into the charger). When I tried to charge my 5000 mah lipo, the Equinox would trip off line due to the 5s adapter not being able to handle the current. As it turns out, GP makes a "high power" balance charge adapter for anything over 3000 mah...up to 6000 mah. It uses a Deans plug along with whatever type balance lead you have and funnels the extra current through that, allowing you to charge at a higher rate.

If you don't have the high power adapters, but still need to charge a big pack, you can "trick" the charger by programming it at a smaller capacity (1000-2000 mah) and it will more slowly bring your pack up to a level that will allow you to program in the actual capacity to "top-off' the lipo.

You also have to have a good power source or you will get the "input voltage" error while trying to charge big batteries. a Minimum 10 amp power supply is suggested, although there are others out there that produce more power.