Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Charging batteries?

Old 01-25-2007, 09:26 AM
phaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging batteries?

Is there a forumla for charging batteries? Like a percentage of the total volts of the pack for the charging rate? I use nimh and lipos 2 and 3 cell packs and was trying to figure out what rate to charge them at.
Thanks phaz
Old 01-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Fliprob17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charging batteries?

With the LiPo's you want to stick with a 1C rate max. I like to use a 0.75 C max. to hopefully increase the batteries life. So if the pack is a 3 cell 11.1 volt 2100mah - take the 2100mah and divide by 1000 to get amps = 2.1 - then multiply that by 1 for the 1 C rate = 2.1 amps. Or for a .75 C rate take the 2.1 x 0.75 = 1.58 amps.

For NiMh's if you want to be safe and extend the batteries life, same story above applies. I am not as cautious with the NiMh packs, plus they are cheaper, so I usually charge them at a 2 C rate.