Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

General question about Li-Po

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

General question about Li-Po

Old 03-23-2007, 03:31 PM
borna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General question about Li-Po

I just have this general question about LI-PO. I keep hearing and reading a lot of articles about the LI-PO catching file during charging and sometimes in the air.
Almost all of the laptop computers and cell phones these days have Li-po in them. Why is it that we don't hear someone house went up the smoke while the laptop or the cell phone was charging?

Are these other devices have something different then what we use in electric plane?

Borna
Old 03-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: General question about Li-Po

Because Laptops and other devices do not draw the amount of amps that the Electric Airplane motors do. We put a lot more stress on batteries using them in Electric airplanes. The chargers for laptops and other devices do not charge at a rate that is comparable to an Electric airplane charger. Once again not putting as much stress on the battery. We are ansy to fly, so if the thing takes longer than a hour or so to charge, it is worthless At least that is how I understand it.

Sony had a huge recall on laptop batteries a while back because they were igniting or could ignite.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

I would think one or two of the reasons why you hear about it in r/c is "we" in the r/c hobby will wire our own electronics and put our own connectors on batteries.
We have multiple batteries of different sizes and charge rates. It is very easy to wire something wrong or connect incorrectly, and even charge incorrect.
This is where all of the mishaps start.

With most laptops, cell phone and such the battery is enclosed and will come with a low charge rate charger. Very simple- plug it in and forget it, no programming, no overcharging, also Flip said it right where laptops won't use a 10th of what we do.

I mean think about it- most homes have 200 to 250 amp breaker boxes. I have lipos with 100-200 amp ratings. Thats some power going into those planes.

So to help answer your question-- yes they do have something different.

If you take care to double check your charge rate, store and care for your lipos you should not have problems. (Not saying something odd won't happen)
However, I have alot of lipos and have yet to have one swell or catch fire. (I shouldn't have just jinxed myself)
Old 03-23-2007, 06:22 PM
packyj

I agree with fliprob... laptops and even cell phones have been recalled for the same reasons.

also as bg stated, we charge our batteries at a rate we choose. Laptops and cell phones both have trickle chargers that cannot be modified by the user. In general where users have control users cause problems.

As long as you pay attention to your amp draw inside the plane and your charge rate outside the plane there really is little danger aside from smashing or cutting a pack.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:22 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I thought it was because all the phones and laptops have protection built in to the charge and discharge.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

ORIGINAL: guver

I thought it was because all the phones and laptops have protection built in to the charge and discharge.

Are chargers do too, however we can change the charge rates. And this is where you can have a problem, if someone does not know the correct charge rate or inputs the wrong rate to charge you may overcharge and have an issue.

You cannot do this with cell phone/laptops thet have a fixed charge rate specific to there charger and battery.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 PM
borna

Thanks all, I'm clear on that now.