Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Say I go with a brushless motor...

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Say I go with a brushless motor...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:30 AM
smpr_fi_mac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Say I go with a brushless motor...

So, if I go with a brushless motor for my first bird (Lenzo's Airborn), what size/set up should I get? The plane is scaled for Texaco 1/2A.

I've been to several websites, but haven't seen any that show the 'equivalent' glow sizes.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:35 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Say I go with a brushless motor...

A buddy of mine is currently flying a 15 oz Texaco sized model using a little 1 oz motor that has a max draw of only 7 amps. He's running it on two Lipos and using a 10x4.7 prop. At full throttle it climbs like a power model. It's from www.rchotdeals.com but that particular model motor is discontinued.

THis one with two Lipos and an 8x4 should be suitable...
http://www.rchotdeals.com/Products/r.../A2208-12.html

Here's another that should work fine using an 8x3 or 8x4 and 2 lipos
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...roducts_id=154

If it was a aerobatic model then you'd need to stick with a much smaller model but the Old TImers fly on the wing so they can easily get away with less power. WIth either of the two above options you'll seldom even need full throttle.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:56 PM
smpr_fi_mac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like something I might try out, especially at that price. Now then...for batteries.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:57 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There's only one way to go these days. Lipo. Get a pack that'll provide a steady current that's about 25 to 30% over the max your motor will demand. The lower discharge rate will ensure a far longer lifespan for the pack.

I'm also moving this to the Electric Universe since it's more about power systems and less about designs.

Best of luck with the project.