Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Do I REALLY have to balance?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Do I REALLY have to balance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:43 PM
redbaron9898
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I REALLY have to balance?

I am about to buy this battery pack and i need to know if i need to buy a whole new "balancing charger for it.
Is it mandatory that i charge it through the JST lead
of can i use the other lead to charge it?

it is a Thunderpower 910mAh "prolite" 11.1v 3 cell pack with a JST connector
Old 05-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Do I REALLY have to balance?

Which lead you use to charge depends on the charger/balancer combination that you are using. Some chargers connect direct to balancers, which connect to the balancer plug on the pack. Other chargers, like the CellPro 4S are balancing/chargers in one, and charge directly through the balance plug while balancing. Many other chargers, connect to the discharge leads, red and black wires and charge through those, then you get a separate balancer to connect to the balancing plug on the pack simultaneously.

There are a ton of combination out there.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:39 AM
mrasmm

Default RE: Do I REALLY have to balance?

na, you don't need a balancer charger for it. Especially if you already have a good charger. You will want to check the balance though alteast every 3 or 4 flights. I've heard good things about balance from TP packs from some people that say they don't really need alot of balancing. A balancer is only about 30 bucks and can be completely seperate from your charger, and would be well worth it IMPO. For most balancers and the TP packs you will need an adaptor. www.commonsenserc.com has the one you'll need.

musta missed that previous post... yeah, basically what he said =P