Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

10-11 lb Options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:56 PM
YAT-28E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10-11 lb Options?

I have an 10+ lb aircraft I am thinking of going with electric and have no idea where to start.

I want to fly scale 1/7th T-28( see my Avatar)

I would love to see ideas on a complete setup, motor,esc, battery...

Thanks
Mike
Old 06-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: 10-11 lb Options?

If you base the requirements on a 10lb. plane, you are going to need about 900 total watts of power to have it fly scale. I would recommend going a little above that, closer to 1000 total watts or so. Watts = battery voltage x amp draw of motor. I would run at least a 5 cell 18.5 volt lipo, maybe even a 6 cell 22.2 volt. If you went with a 5 cell 18.5 volt you would need to run about 55 amps +/- to get up to 1000 watts. If you went with a 6 cell 22.2 volt you would need to run about 45 amps.

Option #1
Motor - HiMax HC5030-390 Outrunner 390 kv
ESC - Castle Creations Phoenix 60
Battery - Thunder Power Extreme TP4500-6SX

Option #2 - Not quite as much power in terms of watts but close
Motor - E-Flite Power 60 Outrunner 400 kv
ESC - E-Flite 60 amp Pro
Battery - Thunder Power Extreme TP4500-5SX

The first option would provide a little more power and longer flight times because you don't have to run as many amps to get the total watts you need with the 6 cell pack.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:43 AM
CWLWL

For higher power needs as you mentioned, I would suggest:
1) expensive but top notch quality: PLETTENBERG's ORBIT XL series, one of the sources I have used= icare of Canada.
2) most reasonably priced but STILL made in German= KONTRONIKs' KORA TOP 20- OR 30- , Tango 45-06 or -08 , i have over a dozen of them, none of them shown any defects, I have some of them used in my hotrods, at insanely abuses, sources=tower hobbies of USA, or Hoellein of German.
3) Economic but with sound/ proven quality= AXI 's from 4130-16/20 to 5330 series....
4) buy cheap buy the cheapiest.....too much on the market already..........Some works great some are not, need lucks...

For ESC, I would go for JETIs Spin series for their special features, or their older gen wrapped in RED = NO BRAINER, EASY to use yet very rug and reliable-----they have significantly better in RF side effects compared to that USA made ESC in my experience

I would highly recommend AXI + Jeti esc , especially you are living in US, because they keep their words regarding after sales services.
Also, I have VERY GOOD impression about those AXIs, the first big BL I owned is a 4130-20 which was bought some 4 yrs and it is still working in good order. But of course there are more cheaper substitutes especially around here, I have a full box of dead motors (from as smaller as a bell motor to the biggest size similar copies of AXI 5330) they are mostly died of burnt at high rpm, poor materials, poor craftsmanship.......

David
Old 06-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

You can get 1200W out of an AXi 4130/16 and a 6S, 5000mAh LiPoly pack with a 16x10 prop. That ought to be more than adequate for a 10-11lb airplane.

I always like to throw a little extra power at planes just so's they can get out of sticky spots.