Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Why store lipo's at half charge?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Why store lipo's at half charge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:04 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why store lipo's at half charge?

I store my lipo's at half charge as it seems to be the conventional wisdom to do so. But I don't know why I'm doing it. I can guess at a couple of reasons, but does anybody out there actually know why we store them in that state ?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:52 PM
mrasmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why store lipo's at half charge?

because the mfg's tell us to =) and that's how they are shipped to us =)

hehe, j/k I read the reason once somewhere but I do not recall, try www.batteryuniversity.com and see if they don't have some answers for ya.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:24 AM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks mrassmnn,

Your batteryuniversity recommendation was good. The line that got my atterntion was where it said, "The time at which the battery stays at 4.20/cell should be as short as possible. Prolonged high voltage promotes corrosion". Here is the pertinent section copied from their site:

Prolonged battery life through moderation

Batteries live longer if treated in a gentle manner. High charge voltages, excessive charge rate and extreme load conditions have a negative effect on battery life. The longevity is often a direct result of the environmental stresses applied. The following guidelines suggest ways to prolong battery life.

-The time at which the battery stays at 4.20/cell should be as short as possible. Prolonged high voltage promotes corrosion, especially at elevated temperatures. Spinel is less sensitive to high voltage.

-3.92V/cell is the best upper voltage threshold for cobalt-based lithium-ion. Charging batteries to this voltage level has been shown to double cycle life. Lithium-ion systems for defense applications make use of the lower voltage threshold. The negative is a much lower capacity.

-The charge current of Li-ion should be moderate (0.5C for cobalt-based lithium-ion). The lower charge current reduces the time in which the cell resides at 4.20V. A 0.5C charge only adds marginally to the charge time over 1C because the topping charge will be shorter. A high current charge tends to push the voltage into voltage limit prematurely.

-Do not discharge lithium-ion too deeply. Instead, charge it frequently. Lithium-ion does not have memory problems like nickel-cadmium batteries. No deep discharges are needed for conditioning.

-Do not charge lithium-ion at or below freezing temperature. Although accepting charge, an irreversible plating of metallic lithium will occur that compromises the safety of the pack.

Not only does a lithium-ion battery live longer with a slower charge rate; moderate discharge rates also help. Figure 5 shows the cycle life as a function of charge and discharge rates. Observe the improved laboratory performance on a charge and discharge rate of 1C compared to 2 and 3C.

Figure 5: Longevity of lithium-ion as a function of charge and discharge rates.
A moderate charge and discharge puts less stress on the battery, resulting in a longer cycle life.
Battery experts agree that the longevity of lithium-ion is shortened by other factors than charge and discharge rates. Even though incremental improvements can be achieved with careful use, our environment and the services required are not always conducive for optimal battery life. In this respect, the battery behaves much like us humans - we cannot always live a life that caters to achieve maximum life span.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:58 PM
mrasmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're welcome =) Sounds like alot of good info there =)