Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

LiPo not acting right w/ balancer

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

LiPo not acting right w/ balancer

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:54 PM
theradioflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo not acting right w/ balancer

Hi All, I have a Thunder Power 910 w/balance taps and yesterday while charging with the balance charger attach, the balancer began chiming like I had never heard before. I checked the leds and they where flashing steady on cell 1,and then it did it on cell 2, and then it did it on both 1 and 3. I removed the battery from the charger and flew it on my Blade CP. The batt had plenty of power on there were no problems that I could find. Tonight I put the batt on the balancer again and immediately cell 1 started flashing and wouldn't stop. The TP instructions on both charger and balancer have a lot to be desired. Does anyone know what's going on?

God Bless,

Jay
Old 07-01-2007, 03:34 AM
jooNorway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LiPo not acting right w/ balancer

I don`t know your charger, so this is based on my experience with an other brand:
There cells are not in balance, that is for sure. Since it behaved more loudly than you are used to I assume the imbalance is above 0,03Volt, which is "dangerous". The way I solve this with my oldest standalone balancer is to reduce charge-current to make sure the balancer is able to do the balancing-job! If you charge at 1C the current could be too high for the balancer to be able to bleed down excessive voltage. At next charge, try to reduce charge to no more than 1/3 C or lower and watch if the diodes stop blinking at the end of charge.

Some "charge-through" balancers/chargers reduce the current if needed, but standalone balancers can`t do this. So they try to bleed out excessive voltage. And if charge-current is too high they have problems because of limitation on how much bleeding-capacity they have...

Just some thoughts