Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Soldering

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldering

In the December 07 issue of Fly RC there is an article on soldering, page142. I have always prided myself in my soldering skills (NASA Certified), but there are a few things in this article that are really questionable IMHO. I would like to hear from other soldering experts on your take on the article.

The first NO-NO that I noted was having both leads stripped before soldering them to the Deans connector, then in another picture it shows both leads exposed. It has always been my practice to prep the leads one at a time before soldering and then heat shrink over the first connection before trying to solder the second one. You only need to short a LiPo pack once to learn this.

The other was the recommendation to use a soldering gun rather than an iron. I just don't buy this as the gun does not have the mass for rapid heat transfer. A 40 watt 1/4" chisel tip iron would be my recommendation.

Comments?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97765.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	737580  
Old 08-07-2007, 05:11 PM
bobferguson

Default RE: Soldering

I totally agree on both issues!
Old 08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

You're right.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

It appears that real modelers in Canada also know how to solder. Refreshing.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:15 PM
jdetray

Hi Red -

I also pride myself on my soldering skills. I've been building electronics gear for 40 years and have soldered everything from teensy ICs to large RF cables.

In the photo, the wires being soldered appear to be from an ESC, so there is no danger if they touch. However, a beginner might conclude that battery wires can also both be stripped before soldering, which is a recipe for disaster. Does the article say anything about the safe soldering of battery leads?

I agree that a soldering gun is not the best tool for the job. An iron or soldering station with a nice big tip is what you want.

- Jeff
Old 08-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

The article doesn't mention anything about safety. I should have noted that the Deans plug is a male, not one that would be soldered to a battery (I hope). My Oops.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm afraid you've run into a bum Canuck But I have an excuse. A friend that worked for Weller Soldering Irons, factory at that time was 20 miles away. Anyway he gave me these oversize copper tips for the gun. This is a two stage trigger thingie. When it starts to smoke the flux, back off on the trigger and go. Works great. But as you say there is a limit to what it can do. I still have a white gas blow torch and a soldering copper for any thing bigger. Used to use it for babbiting model "A" engine blocks