Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Balancer for multiple brands?

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Balancer for multiple brands?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:28 AM
jr05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancer for multiple brands?

I am looking to get a cell balancer and am wondering what a good option is to be able to use it with multiple brands. (Great planes and thunder power mostly).

I will be using it in conjunction with a Triton charger if that helps.

Thanks for any help,
JR
Old 08-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Bad_Daddy

Default RE: Balancer for multiple brands?

Since the Lipo industry doesn't want to settle for a standard balancer plug, your only real option will be to make (or buy) adapter cables to go from your balancer to whatever battery you are charging.

[opinion] I think the Lipo manufacturers still think they can force you to buy their brand batteries and chargers and esc's and whatever else, forever, once you commit to their style of connector. If so, that's incredibly lame and short-sighted. [/opinion]
Old 08-24-2007, 11:57 AM
mrasmm

hehe, yeah that's basically how it is =)

great planes uses the standard polarity jst balance tap and TP obviously uses the TP tap. You can get adaptors to go either way, so basically just get the one you want and get some adaptor cables and make sure on the polarity.

Another option is something like the blinky, but you would also need to get the tp adaptor for that one as well.

I use the equinox, and that is plug and play with great planes, and then you could get the v2 jst to TP balance tap from some place like www.commonsenserc.com for about 3 bucks.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:00 PM
rchotrod

*quote*[opinion] I think the Lipo manufacturers still think they can force you to buy their brand batteries and chargers and esc's and whatever else, forever, once you commit to their style of connector. If so, that's incredibly lame and short-sighted. [/opinion]

I wish the li-po manufacturers would read this! Maybe we should have a masive email party to let the manufacturers know what we want.

How long did it take for the radio manufacturers to standardize the servo plugs. Still only futaba has to have the little tab. But at least the wires are all in the same places. I bet they sell even more servos now because of the standard plugs.

Come on li-po manufacturers, get with it! Make the balance plugs with a standard wiring. We will still be brand loyal. It will come down to which manufacturer can come up with the best FEATURES on the charger or balancer, not just because it FITS.

I have also noticed that some of the balance plugs use funky ways to show + or - on the plug. I was always taught that RED is + and BLACK is -. I see plugs with one - and three + and some with three - and one +.[:@

Sorry don't want to turn this thread into a rant. But I agree with Bad Daddy.

See ya,
Rod
Old 08-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

We can tell them what we want, and I'm sure most of the manufacturers will agree... except they will want it to be THEIR connector that becomes the industry standard. There lies the problem...
Old 08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
mrasmm

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

We can tell them what we want, and I'm sure most of the manufacturers will agree... except they will want it to be THEIR connector that becomes the industry standard. There lies the problem...

lol, if that isn't EXACTLY the problem =)

atleast right now there are basically only 2 main connectors, and one of those connectors has 2 polarities, so it's really only 3 balance tap types to worry about. TP, standard JST and reverse JST =)