Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Ruined lipo??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 02:36 PM
hooliganflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruined lipo??

Hi everyone! The other day I accidentaly left a set of servos, motor and receiver on all night (was discharging Tx baterry intencionaly and forgot to unplug the lipo that was connected to the speed controler of the motor, wich was powering the servos also). And the next morning I realised that I left the rx equipment on accidentaly and the lipo was completely discharged. Now whenever I charge the lipo after about 5 min, the charger finishes the charge as if I was full, but when I connect it, it doesnt last very long. Please help.

Regards,

Darren
Old 09-29-2007, 05:33 PM
jdetray

Default RE: Ruined lipo??

The battery pack is probably ruined. When a lipo is discharged below 3V per cell, it is likely to be damaged. If it was my battery, I would safely dispose of it.

Some people have brought over-discharged lipos "back to life" by charging them at a very low rate with a conventional NiMH-type charger until the pack voltage rises to at least 3V per cell. You will need a means of measuring the pack voltage to know when the pack has reach 3V per cell. At that point, your regular lipo charger may be able to charge the pack. I don't recommend this, but I know some people have done it.

Since the pack has very likely been damaged already, you will never be able to completely trust it again. Even if the above procedure works, the battery will probably not have as much capacity or longevity as it did before being over-discharged. If you keep the battery, please keep it in a safe place and watch it VERY carefully when charging it.

- Jeff
Old 09-29-2007, 05:46 PM
mrasmm

I would also probably just get rid of it. It's not worth the damage it can do.

Make sure if you use the above method that you only charge about 1/10thC, and let me reiterate, make sure you charge this where if/when it goes off that it wont cause any damage =)
Old 09-30-2007, 05:26 PM
hooliganflyer

So can someone please tell me how I can correctly dispose of my battery? [].

Regards,

Darren.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can remove all the plugs you need, and cover up the leads with caps, or something, and soak the battery in a salt bath. I don't know the mixture, but I know it works.

I have personally used the above method of bringing my packs back to life. I have done it about ten times. Just use a Nimh charger that can charge really low. Leave it on the charger for about 3-5 mins, and monitor it's temperature. Plug it into your lipo charger and see what happens.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:11 PM
jdetray

ORIGINAL: hooliganflyer
So can someone please tell me how I can correctly dispose of my battery?.
The saltwater method alone does not always work, since it can cause the metal tabs to corrode away before the cells are completely discharged. You should fully discharge the battery first.

There are disposal instructions near the bottom of this page:
http://www.commonsenserc.com/page.ph...tructions.html

- Jeff
Old 09-30-2007, 11:24 PM
mrasmm

here's TP's instructions

http://thunderpowerrc.com/PDF/DISPOS...-BATTERIES.pdf

some people also slit open the lipo packs after the discharge in the salt water bath, although I've never seen that avocated by any mfg's