Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

breaking in lipo's

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:24 AM
timberdovii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking in lipo's

Hey guys can i have all your information on breaking in lipo packs. I want all the opinions i can get. Your time is really appreciated.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:52 AM
jdetray

Default RE: breaking in lipo's

From the Thunder Power web site:

First few Flights
Thunder Power recommends no more than 3-5C average discharge for breaking in new packs. Also be extremely careful not to over discharge new packs (Packs should NEVER be over discharged at any time, but over discharging on the first flight will ruin the battery permanently before you are able to enjoy it...).

That said, I know many people just charge and fly without worrying about breaking in the pack.

- Jeff
Old 11-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, a lot of the guys at my field take it easy with new packs, the first few flights, not doing much with their planes. They use about 1/2 throttle on new packs and after about 3 or 4 flights they start to go crazy with the throttle. I suggest you try and do this, just to be on the safe side.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Ryan CSRC

Many manufactures have no suggestions for break in. Most of the ones that do just suggest not going to full discharge right away. If you want to be safe and get the most out of the pack, just take it easy on the first few flights.

Ryan Lefevre
www.CommonSenseRC.com
The Go To Guys for Electric Power
Old 11-02-2007, 04:38 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

yep...that is all I do....

first few flights are shorter than expected and at lower throttle settings......

then let er rip
Old 11-02-2007, 06:40 PM
mrasmm

1/2C charge 2c discharge to 3.0 to 3.2V per cell for 3 to 5 cycles if you want an actual break in =)

alot of people do just run it slow the first few times, or don't even break them in at all