Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Help with Triton2 charger

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Help with Triton2 charger

Old 11-02-2007, 07:29 PM
jmcknight63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Triton2 charger

Hello all, I am in need of some help. I am just geting into flying electric planes and i am pretty dumb when it comes to electric. I am haveing a problem with my triton 2 charger charging my batteries. The batteries I have are Flight Power EVO25 1800mAh,, 11.1v LiPo. I also have the Flight POwer V-Balance FP-86s.
My battery is completely dead and when i hook it up to the balancer and the balancer to the triton charger, i have my setting omn the charger set to "LiPo Charge, 1800mAh, 11.1v and when i hold down the round button for 2 seconds like it says to start the charge process it tells me that "[ERROR] Batt. V too low....
what is up with this thing. I got charger to charge once and since i drained the battery I can not get it to charge again. ALSO. i was told to NEVER discharge LiPo batteries.
CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP.
Thanks
Joey
Old 11-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Bad_Daddy

Default RE: Help with Triton2 charger

DON'T hold the button down - just press it twice! The "Interface Mode" light should start blinking and then your charger will see the battery.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:56 PM
jmcknight63

the charger see the battery. THe button that i am holdig down is on the charger. The directions say to hold down for like .5 seconds. I am sooo cornfused...
I got a battery to charge earlier, it reminds me of the wife. gotta find the right button to push.. lol
Old 11-03-2007, 02:51 AM
Bad_Daddy

Oh - the button on the charger!
Yes, once you get the charger set correctly for the battery (your description sounds correct), then you need to press the button STRAIGHT down and hold it (without turning it at all) for about 2 seconds. It will beep immediately when you press the button, but you need to hold the button down until it beeps again and starts charging. Then it will "look" at the battery and if it seems okay you'll hear a boo-beep signal and away it goes.
If the battery is not correct, you'll hear a bee-boop sound and there will be an error message on the screen.

But you still need to have the balancer in the "Interface Mode" before the charger will work through it.
Can you post a photo of your setup? Maybe that would help.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:06 AM
Bad_Daddy

Okay, I looked up that balancer and read your troubles more carefully. You have over-discharged the LiPo, and it may be trashed.
You MIGHT be able to set the charger as if it were a 7.4 volt battery and get it to start taking a charge. If it does, let the input voltage rise to about 8 volts, then turn it off, reset the charger for 11.1 volts, and resume charging. DON"T LET THE BATTERY OUT OF YOUR SIGHT while you are doing this! If that doesn't work, I think you're out of luck.
btw, you NEED to have the Electronic Speed Control set to recognize the LiPo battery and cutoff at 9.0 volts. If your ESC does not have a LiPo setting, you need to get a proper ESC or add a Li-Saver like this one: http://www.atsrcplanes.com/lisaver1.htm
Old 11-03-2007, 04:08 AM
mrasmm

yeah, I would agree, sounds as if you've over discharged it. Discharging a lipo is fine, but you've got to make sure never to go under 3.0v per cell, so that would be 9v in your case.

If the voltage is above 2.5 to 2.75v per cell you can bring it back if you want to try. But like big daddy was sayin you need to do it keeping in mind that it could explode or catch on fire. the instructions are c/10 NiCD or NiMH type walwart charge until it gets just above 9.0v, then hurry and put it on the lipo charger and start charging at 1/2C or less, then cycle it 3 to 5 times, 1/2C charge 2C discharge to 3.0 to 3.2v per cell under load.

GL =)
Old 11-03-2007, 09:17 AM
jmcknight63

Dang, when the battery had a charge i thought i had to run the battery down before recharging. i guess you do not have to do that???
I will try and charge as a 7.4... i may just toss it instead od going to the hospital with facial burns,,,,,, thanks guy for your help.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:23 AM
jmcknight63

the esc i have is a"JETI Brushless Advance 30-3P "
Old 11-03-2007, 10:11 AM
jmcknight63

here are some pics of what i am dealing with. I tried to charge as 7.4 volts and it gave the error v too high, then when i tried to recharge at 11.1 v it started then ended, then i tried to recharge it and it gave the error: v too low. pictures are included.
Thanks again.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35300.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	795883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96380.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	795884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12754.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	795885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89502.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	795886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81782.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	795887  
Old 11-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Scrape

I've had that problem before. Mine was from the power source. It' not a Triton 2 and the screen shot did not look like yours it just had (ERROR) battery voltage.
I quit at first hint of power lost on LiPo"s.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:06 PM
jmcknight63

thanks for all the help with battery, i am just gonna trash it?do i need a programmer with my JETI 30 plus. I will write what my direction sheet shows and hope fully you all can help me understand what i am reading. from what i read it has all the things i need already programmed in esc. It show me how to use the throttle stick to change items. I just dont know if i should have break on or of. Well here is what the paper shows.

these controllers have automatic cut-off with auto detection for the number and type of cells. This provides the correct cut-off for all types and number of cells, if the break is on, the low voltage motor cut-off is sudden, leaving the remaing capacity for a safe landing. If the brake is not active, the esc automatically provides a gradual low voltage motor cut-off. a gradual low voltage motor cut-off is preferable with an acrobatic model to avoid loss of power

Thes speed controllers are equippedwith protectionfunctions that take care of the correct start and operation of the motor across the whole range of revolutions and current..

SO. what is this telling me. DO i need a programmer card with this controller? do i run with break on or off?
Thanks again for your help and time... I just did not know flying Electrics was this complicated.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Bad_Daddy

Brake on/off will control what the propeller does when you pull the throttle to "off". With the brake on, the prop will stop almost instantly and remain in one place until you throttle up again. If you have a folding propeller, this is the setting to use. Brake off will allow the propeller to pinwheel in the wind. That causes more drag on the airplane, but some people prefer theirs set that way, so they can use the free-wheeling prop like a sort of air-brake as they land. Neither setting will affect how the ESC treats your LiPo.
Regarding the programming card, I've given up trying to program any ESC in any other way. Every manufacturer has a different set of beep codes and a different sequence of "up-throttle / mid-throttle /off-throttle for .0002 / 1 / 2 / 5 seconds until you do or don't hear one / two / five beeps making an up / down / sideways kinda sound." To me, the small cost of the programmer card is well worth the retention of my patience. ymmv

I was looking thru the online version of the manual for the "JETI Brushless Advance 30-3P" at http://www.jetimodel.cz/eng/navody_en/3p_old_eng.pdf (and if that is the exact model you have), it does NOT have LiPo recognition. On the second page, paragraph 10 says, "The speed controller will turn off the motor then the accu voltage falls under 5,3 V or reach 0,7 V/cell. It depends on what happens as the first." (sic) That is TOO LOW for a Lipo, and will cause damage.
Either add a Li-Saver or replace that ESC with the newer Jeti Advance 30 controller or another LiPo enabled ESC. Sorry.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:32 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

On your Triton: the battery must be inbetween the voltage for 2S and 3S because it says too high for 2S and too low for 3S.

Charge on a nickel setting for a few minutes at a low rate and the voltage will come up enough to charge it normally on the 3S setting with the balancer.

Please don;t forget about it (set max capacity or stare at the volge while chargeing) Also you can push both square buttons to read the input voltage and the output voltage of the Triton , this will give you the battery voltage (output)