Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Dell battery packs LIPO's

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Dell battery packs LIPO's

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:48 AM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dell battery packs LIPO's

can I use the Dell insperion lap top battery pack with its charger for my larger electrics , its voltage is 14.4 and mah =4400[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54935.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	812308  
Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Dell battery packs LIPO's

ORIGINAL: suzonka

can I use the Dell insperion lap top battery pack with its charger for my larger electrics , its voltage is 14.4 and mah =4400[img][/img]
This probably are 18650 Lithium Ion which have a relatively high internal impedance - not good for the high discharge rates we are looking at in electric flight.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:49 PM
soarhead-RCU

I have torn apart and used some of the Li-Ions out of those lap-top packs. I have made 2s and 3s packs out of the cells. As Red said they are not for high discharge current applications. I use them for 300-400 brushed motors and BP12 &21 bell type brushless CDRom motors. Are only good for a max of 10-12 amps static and then they unload in the air and fly OK. I have several hundred flights on them in the last 3-4 years or so. They work fine if you tune your system for them. I fly 10-16 ounce parkies and the packs weigh 3.25ounces for 2s and about 4.5 ounces for a 3s pack about 85-100 watts output, on 3s packs.
My daughter is a computer tech so I get the used packs for free. Its not the cells that fail in the computer packs its the consumer safety stuff that is in the pack. Your pack would be a 8 cell pack wired 4s2p. I use a regular lipo charger to charge my flight packs.

Good Luck
Bob
Old 11-26-2007, 11:56 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: soarhead-RCU

I have torn apart and used some of the Li-Ions out of those lap-top packs. I have made 2s and 3s packs out of the cells. As Red said they are not for high discharge current applications. I use them for 300-400 brushed motors and BP12 &21 bell type brushless CDRom motors. Are only good for a max of 10-12 amps static and then they unload in the air and fly OK. I have several hundred flights on them in the last 3-4 years or so. They work fine if you tune your system for them. I fly 10-16 ounce parkies and the packs weigh 3.25ounces for 2s and about 4.5 ounces for a 3s pack about 85-100 watts output, on 3s packs.
My daughter is a computer tech so I get the used packs for free. Its not the cells that fail in the computer packs its the consumer safety stuff that is in the pack. Your pack would be a 8 cell pack wired 4s2p. I use a regular lipo charger to charge my flight packs.

Good Luck
Bob
[&o] Thanks for the information .
Old 11-26-2007, 11:58 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

ORIGINAL: suzonka

This probably are 18650 Lithium Ion which have a relatively high internal impedance - not good for the high discharge rates we are looking at in electric flight.
[:-] Thanks for the information