Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Discussion - Forget the graphs - Best "value" lipos poll!

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Discussion - Forget the graphs - Best "value" lipos poll!

Old 01-05-2008, 01:20 PM
wollins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discussion - Forget the graphs - Best "value" lipos poll!

Ok guys, (and gals! )

We've seen the graphs ... we've heard the hype (from the different manufacturers) and we've tried a pack or two! (or three .... or ten!) So the question is ... what in YOUR opinion ... based on YOUR field results and personal experience in YOUR applications ... are the best "value" lipos out there?

"Value" ... not top of the line, (hence expensive! [:@]) but "value". We all know about the Thunder Powers, Kokams, (they still make packs? ) Hyperions, Flight Power, Polyquest, Tanics, Apogees and other "premium" packs ... a typical price for a 2100 to 2200mah 20C "premium" pack would be around $79 plus or minus a few bucks. I know cause I currently own about 2,000 bucks worth of "premium" packs ranging from 3S to 10S.

What we're trying to get at here is the best of the not so premium (read expensive! ) lipo packs.

Ok, let me define what I mean by "value". Simply put ... best bang for your buck. In other words, not necessarily the BEST performance ... or the BEST price ... ... but a mixture of the best performance and the cheapest price!

I know that there are a TON of batteries out there that may fall into this sorta "broad" definition and hence the request for this poll. Personally I've found that MaxAmps have been the best "value" packs for the last couple of years for me ... but they definately won't fall into the "inexpensive" category anymore!

In any event, there are so many "value pack" choices out there that one is hard pressed to keep up. Just trying to keep up with the following packs and their performance can drive a man to drink! [:@]

Hecell
Dymond
Electric Power
DNPower
Dualsky
Etec/Apache
Xcite
CommonSense
TrueRc
X-Caliber

And that's just the ones I can think of of the top of my head!

Ok guys ... lets get it on ... I'd appreciate your opinions on the best cheap (or relatively inexpensive) 15C or more packs and why. (performance for you)

Thanks!

Colin.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Discussion - Forget the graphs - Best "value" lipos poll!

Cellpro Revolution -- NOW WITH A 60 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

http://www.fmadirect.com/
Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DEWALT 36 volt pack.

Rich
Old 01-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: cyclops2

DEWALT 36 volt pack.

Rich
Yes, I agree, great value for those capable of building their own packs from the A123 cells. I have been flying them for 18 months, over 200 cycles and still going strong (8 to 10 flights per week - year round).
Old 01-06-2008, 04:31 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

"Value" ... not top of the line, (hence expensive! ) but "value".
your definition of value and mine is different...

I use TP
Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 PM
wollins

ORIGINAL:
your definition of value and mine is different...
Hence this thread.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be watching this thread with interest. I really hope a lot of people post with thier experience. I am just starting a 1/7 scale Top Flite P-51B conversion. For the motor, I picked up the E-Flite 110. I've been looking at a lot of batteries, and going simply by the stated specs, I'm really interested in the Max Amps 4S2P 20C 8000mah packs. At 725 grams, they are about the highest power density batteries I've seen. Does anyone have experience with these?

Scott
Old 01-07-2008, 07:24 AM
wollins

Scott, I don't know about those particular packs but I had the Maxamps 5S 6300mah 20C packs and they were great.

Colin.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 PM
stinky

I agree, exeter_acres ,someone has there values backwards??? Values in a battery to me is best proformance, flight time, speed,longivity,customer service. Money has little to do with values. 20 dollar 2100mah battery = 6 minute flight time 80 dollar 2100mah battery = 36 minute flight time go buy 6 20 dollar batteies for 120.00 dollars to get same flight time minus changing batteries every 6 minutes???
Get me 40 hrs a day so I can spend more money, I have way too much of that. Thunder Power Batteries for me!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Yaniel

i've had very good luck with about 10 different fma direct packs in various sizes. they arent the cheapest but they are much cheaper than TP. I've been using them for about 6 months and i fly almost daily, havent had a single issue. i've bough 4 tp packs in my life, 2 of them a discharge wire pulled out, and on one a balance wire came loose the last one was a 1320 pack i barely use so its still fine. sure they fix them but it takes about 2 months turn around. mean while my cheap packs have been great. i've also bought a bunch of loong max 20c packs from 3s1000-3s1300 mah and have had great performance and each have over 50 cycles already, cant beat that at 13-15 bucks a pack with "deans" already installed.

i also get the same amount of flight time from my tp packs as i do from my "lesser" packs. so i know where i'm really getting value for my dollar and its not with TP.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:25 PM
wollins

Excellent! Lets keep the "in the field actual results" coming guys!

Colin.