Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Rebuild a pack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:40 AM
jp473

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild a pack?

I have 2 damaged 3S 11.1v 2200mAh packs. Each with one bad cell. On one I figured what the heck! And took it apart. Salvaged 2 cells. My question is has anyone ever rebuilt a pack? At around 70 each I hate to buy 2 new ones when I may be able to resurrect one. Soldering and dealing with hi amp equipment is not a problem. But I am wondering what the micro chips on the circuit board are.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 04-24-2008, 10:11 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Rebuild a pack?

Some packs have a charge lead or balancer lead, and the circuit board is designed to cut off charge current when the cell(s) reach their max voltage. It might also keep you from discharging below the cell(s) min voltage too, but only if you are discharging through the charge/balancer lead. I don't know of any packs that have any limiting on the main power lead of the pack.

Here's an example of one you can buy to make your own packs:

[link=http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2776]LiPo PCB[/link]
Old 05-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Rebuild a pack?

The key is to solder quickly and not let the heat build up. It doesn't take much to damage the seal on the cell.

Also, the tabs are aluminum, which doesn't work with normal tin solder. If you lose the "tinning" (thin coating of solder) on the cell tabs, you need special aluminum solder to get a good bond. Regular solder will bond to the special solder, however.