Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Do I have a bad charger??

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Do I have a bad charger??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 PM
squeaky penguin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have a bad charger??

I have the Tunder Power 1-4 cell lipo charger and have had it for awhile, with no problems, untill now. Very close togeather I have lost 2 lipo packs due to explosion. Is there something wrong with my charger causing my packs to charge incorrectly? I have also heard that JST plugs, which the charger came with, can have issues. Does anyone have any clue what my problem may be? I do not know much about lipos and this one really stumps me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:57 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Do I have a bad charger??

CAN YOU GIVE us the circumstances of the explosions ? or some more details of voltage and such.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:17 PM
squeaky penguin

Like I said I do not know much about lipos. I was charging the packs at the reccomended voltage: 1.3a for 1300mah packs, 2.0a for 2100mah packs. I am positive I selected the correct number of cells while charging.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Mike Sell

Not knowing the make and model of the charger, the maAh of th batteries, the maAh tht was put back in to the battery during the charge cycle, the first question I would ask would be:were the batteries that exploded dischargged at or below the recommended 3.0 volst per cell during flight? If so this could have caused part or all of the problem.
I ALWAYS check the per cell voltage of a battery befor I charge it. I am very careful to not run the battery to long which can cause execcive heat build-up and discharge the batteries below the recomended 3.0 volts per cell.
I thinlk the cost is about $10.00 for a cell spy. This pluges into the small wires of the battery, the balance leads, to check the voltage of each cell.
Mike