Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Is My Battery Pack Toast ????

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Is My Battery Pack Toast ????

Old 07-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is My Battery Pack Toast ????

I accidently shorted out the plug on my 3S lipo battery. When I put it on the charger it would not charge because 2 cells are 3.10 volts but the third one is only 0.23 volts [] Is there any way to bring this cell back or is the pack finished ??
Old 07-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Is My Battery Pack Toast ????

Charge it as a Ni-Cd at C/10 and watch the low cell, it may come up. If it doesn't you could probably salvage the two good ones for a 2S pack. Keep an eye on it at all times when doing this.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:36 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

If the voltage measured at the discharge connector is about 6.5 then it is probsbly a goner. If the voltage is 9.5 then maybe the balance connector has open circuit/bad connection only.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Charge it as a Ni-Cd at C/10 and watch the low cell, it may come up. If it doesn't you could probably salvage the two good ones for a 2S pack. Keep an eye on it at all times when doing this.
I have a Cellpro 4S charger which will not let me charge as nicad. I have nicad chargers but I'll have to make up a charge cord to use it on the lipo. Would I charge through the balance plug or the Deans Ultra plug ?

Thanks ...............
Old 07-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Don M.

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

I have a Cellpro 4S charger which will not let me charge as nicad. I have nicad chargers but I'll have to make up a charge cord to use it on the lipo. Would I charge through the balance plug or the Deans Ultra plug ?

Thanks ...............
Charge through the power plug, the Deans in your case. But only long enough to bring the low cell up to 3.0 volts and make sure the others don't go over 4.2.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Don M.

I guess I'll give up before I blow myself up. I cannot charge through the power plug nor can I get any voltage reading through it. I took it apart and I can only get a reading on one wire on the little circuit boad and that is 3.70 volts. I guess I shorten out / burnt the circuit board. Not worth blowing something up for a used $45.00 lipo

Thanks for trying to help.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:14 AM
jet-modeller

Hi Don, I had a similar problem with a Kokam 3s 4A pack first of all use a stand alone balancer
then set your li-po charger to two cells and charge watching carefully the balance should prevent
the other two cells that are at the correct voltage from over charging when depending on your
charger the pack voltage reaches between 8.4 - 8.6 v stop charging and re-set your charger to
3 cell 11.1v keeping the cell's connected to the balancer and your charger should now see the pack
as a three cell and start charging, the balancer should prevent the other cell's from overcharging
when you have finished this procedure cycle the pack two or three times using your balancer
before you fly the pack checking that after each cycle the pack is holding a suitably usable voltage
i.e leave maybe a 24 hr period in between each cycle , It may at first glance seem complicated
but its not really, Do Not do this if you do not have a good Li-xx balancer, also I have never used
a normal nicad charger on li-po's but I would not recommend it I might be wrong and those that have
posted before me telling you to do this might know more than me but I would not use a standard
charger on my li-po's,
I really hope this helps there's nothing worse than a self inflicted mistake, we have all done it your not alone,
keep smiling and keep having fun in this great hobby,
James.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Don M.

The lipo is long since gone to battery heaven. I just didn't think it was worth having the thing blow up in my face for a used $45.00 battery. I did learn not to short out the cells on a lipo battery though []