Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Totally corn-fused

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:47 PM
mgm52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totally corn-fused

I am new to the electric flying world. It is bad enough to try and figure out which motor / gear box/ prop/ ECS to use and not have to mortgage the house. Now I am up to the battery chouse. Li-po I looks like the only way to go and with the proper care should be safe, here is my problem. There are hundreds of batteries on the market thru many different suppliers ALL seem to use a different balancing "tap”. Have an Accu-cycle Elite and it is a good charger but I have never used it for li-pos. Why in the world is there not a standard wiring configuration for the balancing tap. There seems to be as many taps as batteries and then throw in the balancer. You have a mess, if you don't the same manufacture for the balancer and the batteries you have to figure out what "tap" adapter you need. Now you are sorted of locked in to what ever you start with, and for a manufacturing / retail stand point I guess it works but it sure is confusing to a newbe. I really don’t want to buy 3 or 4 balancers just to be able to use batteries form different manufactures. Is there a magic web site that give you all the batteries and what "tap" they take with each brand balancer?? It sure would be nice to buy a balancer and any battery I want and be able to charge and balance it wiht out a birds nest of adapters to buy.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
corn-fused
Old 08-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Bad_Daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Totally corn-fused

Just use your charger if it's Lipo capable and get some adapters to fit between the battery and the charger, like these - http://tinyurl.com/4gdnwm