Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Recharging LiPo battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 05:08 PM
ctrcsully

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recharging LiPo battery

I just received a Nitroplane F-22 EDF RTF kit. I am totally new to this hobby. It came with a LinkMan charger. What to I connect the alligator clips to?? Tks//Sully
Old 10-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Recharging LiPo battery

The instructions that came with the plane should tell you, but most likely, a 12V power source like a car battery.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:41 PM
gregz19

I too bought the same plane. I wasnt sure how to hook up the charger either so i bought a plug in charger which puts out 12V. My only thing is when i hook it up both the green light and the red light up. Now when do i know when the battery is charged completely? the instructions on the charger and in the book do not match (go figure) can anybody ansewer this one?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:57 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I too bought the same plane. I wasnt sure how to hook up the charger either so i bought a plug in charger which puts out 12V
Do you mean you bought something that puts out 12vdc to power the Linkman charger, or did you buy a "wall charger" that the battery plugs directly into?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:33 PM
gregz19

I purchased a power source that puts out 12vdc to power the Linkman charger, a steady red light turns on when i plug everything in without the battery, and when i plug in the battery i get a steady green and red light. Now when do i know when the battery is fully charged? does anything on the linkman let me know that its charged, or do i not have the right hookup?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:14 PM
gregz19

Yes a wall charger thats 12V 1amp
Old 01-19-2009, 06:49 PM
jdetray

A wall-plug power supply with a current rating of only 1 Amp is not sufficient to run any R/C charger that I know of. My guess is that the charger isn't charging your battery at all using that power supply.

In addition, many wall-plug power supplies are not regulated, and most chargers require a regulated power supply to operate properly.

You'll either need to use a car battery to power the charger or get a proper 12V power supply that plugs in the wall. You'll need a power supply that can provide 5 or 6 Amps at a minimum. Personally, I'd go for at least 10-15 Amps.

This is the sort of power supply you need:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103960

Here is another example of a power supply that would work for you:
http://radioproshop.com/pyramid-ps/ps12kx.htm

These are neither the best values or the highest quality, just examples. The key is that they are regulated, which is what you want. Also note that the actual output voltage of these power supplies is 13.8V DC. That's normal; many "12V" power supplies are actually 13.8V, because that is the nominal voltage of a car battery.

- Jeff
Old 01-19-2009, 11:02 PM
gregz19

Can I use a car charger?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:18 PM
jdetray

ORIGINAL: gregz19
Can I use a car charger?
No. A car battery charger is not a regulated power supply and is not suitable for powering your R/C charger.

- Jeff
Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 PM
gregz19

Do you have any recommendations on wall chargers? Im not looking for super expensive, just very reliable so it lasts me a long time
Old 01-26-2009, 05:50 AM
jarvey

Check out this site for a less expensive power supply.

http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=57&nid=37
Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 AM
soarhead-RCU

Or scrounge up a used computer power supply and use the 12v output from it. Lots of computer shops have old equipment that they just send to recycleing and you can get one for $5 or maybe beg one for free. Very simple conversion, takes just a few minutes with a soldering iron and minimal tools!!!! Picture tutorials are all over the Net on this subject......

Good Luck
Bob
Old 01-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

The hobby people have a sale on a 20 amp power supply right now for $35 with free shipping. I just bought one they are $70 reg.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/158301.asp

I made a few of the computer power supplies. The power supplies are usually so degraded after years of powering a computer they can't give you the amperage you need.
This unit is cheaper than a new computer power supply and you don't have to modify anything.