Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

12v vs 15v 1A vs50MA

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:14 PM
afterhours
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v vs 15v 1A vs50MA

Can someone kindly explain some of this?

I have a switching mode power adapter
input: AC100-240V 50/60Hz 0.6A
Output: DC 15.0V 1A

I'd like to use it to charge a TX.
It says:
12V 50mA

So what does all this mean and can I use this charger for this TX?

Thank you and Regards,

Jared

Old 02-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Red B.

Default RE: 12v vs 15v 1A vs50MA

The 15V output of your power adapter can supply a maximum current of 1A at that voltage. You can not use it to charge a 12 V battery pack unless you have some current limiting device that limits the current to 50 mA. Unfortunately most simple constant current devices need approx 2-3V to operate, which gives an output voltage too low to charge a 12V battery. Your best bet is to purchase a simple constant current charger such as this [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL331&P=7]R/C Multi-Charger[/link]. Of course there are other brands which are equally suitable for slow charging purposes.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 PM
afterhours
My Feedback: (1)

So I can use a charger that outputs more than 12 volts but not more than 50mA?

Thanks,

Old 03-16-2009, 10:21 AM
usgoel

As per laws of electricity, V=IR i.e. Volts=current X load

You should always supply same volts to a device. If you increase the Volts then since your load is constant, it will increase the current hence resulting in heating up and finally may burn your apparatus.

If you want to run 15V adapter, you will need a resistace load connected in series with your device so that load increases and thus the current in the circuit remains same.

For simple understanding, never connect a low Votage requirement circuit to a high voltage source.

If you do opposite, i.e. connect low voltage source to high voltage requirement, lower current will flow leading to either non-functioning or mal-functioning but it will not burn your circuit.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

First, you need a CHARGER, not a POWER SUPPLY to charge any type of battery. A charger has circuitry to limit the voltage and current supplied to the battery, and the better ones detect when it is fully charged and switch to trickle or shut off. Just get yourself a charger, either a good peak charger, or a cheap wall wart charger.