Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Battery, or charger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 AM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery, or charger?

2200, 3s, 11v Lipo (Zippy), Thunder AC6 charger. Charger giving me an 'error' saying 2 s and 3 cell...I guess not reading 1 cell. I read across the JXT balance plug 8.3, and 4.33 and 4.33volts. I have the plug in board into which you can plug in various cell count in the Thunder. Another cheaper charger I have seems to only try and charge one cell to 4.09v. Battery bad..? BIll
Old 05-19-2012, 09:00 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery, or charger?

If I understand this question properly then you are getting

cell 1 at 4.33 volts
cell 2 at 4.33 volts
cell3 at ???? volts

Perhaps a balance wire has an open on one of the middle cells. If it were one of the end cells then the main + and main - is the same wire.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:37 AM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cell 3 is 8.3 v, correct on the other 2.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:47 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each cell's voltage is measured at the cell tabs internally. Externally it is picked by probing adjacent pins on the balance connector. Perhaps the wire has shirted out or layed onto the next cell's tab because 8.3 is a reading of 2 cells in series. It is possible to pick readings from a combination of the main leads and balance connector to determine the trouble further.

The first thing I'd do is to plug in a quick volt checker and then beyond that I would test adjacent pins with the exact same meter (same meter for each set one at a time)