Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

12V charger for 9.6V battery?

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

12V charger for 9.6V battery?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:59 PM
R/CFlorin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12V charger for 9.6V battery?

I don't want to risk getting the battery burned out, so I hope some of you guys here can help me out
I have a 9.6V N-500A Nicad battery (I think that means 500 mah), and my only charger is rated at 12V 1.1A output. Is that too much for the battery to take?
Thanks
Old 03-15-2009, 10:40 AM
soarhead-RCU

Default RE: 12V charger for 9.6V battery?

Is this a TX pack????? If it is I would say that 1.1A will cut into its lifespan a lot. Most TX and RX packs do not like fast charging. If the batteries are made for a power pack then they will be OK ussually at the 2C charge rate. The internal resistance is lower on a high discharge pack so heat is not built up at higher charge rates.
If it is a TX pack I would say you should get a regular 50-55ma output wall charger. The 12V part is OK because a fully charged 8 cell pack will peak at around 12V.
If it is a power pack, they should be charged in about 1/2 hour, they will heat up andthat means they are charged. If it is not a peak charger and cuts off automatically stay with them and as soon as they get warm unplug them...or they will be Toast!!!!!

Bob
Old 03-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: 12V charger for 9.6V battery?

You really need a "proper" charger - a wall charger at 50mA would do, but you should get an AC to DC power supply (maybe 13.8v, 10A) and a dedicated DC charger suited to NiCd and NiMh. Then you can charge Nixx flight packs as well as your Tx pack. If you intend to get into Lipo's get a Universal Charger which can cope with all battery chemistrys.