Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

E-Flight battery not charging.

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

E-Flight battery not charging.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:15 AM
lje553
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E-Flight battery not charging.

I got a new blade 400 back in nov. I used the original battery and in feb it just stoped charging. Its charger has 4 lights on it. The first one will blink green/Red the next 2 will stay solid red and the last will blink red. I talked to the LHSbut they said eflight will not do anything because I soddered deans conectors on it. (I have a lot of experiance soddering so that is not the problem.) I don't know if I sould open it up and check if the leads to the first cell have come undone or if their is a way to charge it without that lead and do it with the main lines... but I don't think that will let the cells balance. Would a better charger bring it back to life? Or am I just going to have to let this battery die. I have others but Iwould hate to let a seventy dollar battery go.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:47 AM
jdetray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-Flight battery not charging.

If you have a digital multimeter, you can do some basic troubleshooting.

I don't know anything about your charger or battery, but the first thing I would do is check the voltage of the battery. If any cell is too low, your charger may be refusing to charge the battery as a safety precaution. Lipos that have been discharged to too low a voltage may be damaged, and so the charger might be "smart" enough not to charge such a battery.

Checking the battery voltage at each pin of the charging connector will also reveal if the pack is out of balance or if one or more of the cells has become disconnected from the charging connector. If a cell shows "zero" volts, it is probably a bad or broken connection. Fixing such a connection can be tricky, since you might need special solder.

You should also check the voltage at the Deans connector. Perhaps one of your solder (not "sodder") joints has gone bad.

Have you tried the charger with other packs to be sure it is working?

- Jeff

Old 05-28-2009, 11:47 PM
lje553
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a good idea of checking each cells charge at the charge plug I have been checking it at the deans plug. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:49 AM
jdetray

By the way, you can charge a battery through the output (Deans) connector. But if there is any chance that the battery may have a damaged or unbalanced cell, that's not a great idea.

In the old days when lipos first came to the R/C market, charging through the output connector was the only way to charge them. They did not have balance connectors.

- Jeff

Old 06-04-2009, 05:27 PM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

I've had several e-flite packs (mostly for blade series).
Do you only charge with the stock balance-charger from e-flite? or Do you have access to any LiPo charger?
Got a volt meter?

You probably have one of the balance tab voltage missing, so the charger will not charge it.

Check the output voltage from the power lead. Record it.
Check the voltage from Black-Red, It should be equal to the above. If not youneed to move theRed balance wire on the boarddirectly to thecell-3 positive tab (Red power wire attached to it) <<< I usually had this probelm.

Check the voltage from Black-Blue, and Black-Yellow. <<< these for other cell voltages.

Most of the problems on the pack that has the full voltage out of the power lead, but not on the balance port is that small IC in the pack is bad.

Check the 4 voltages. Then, if one of above shows. Do it carefully. All those fixed packs still works fine.

If you need help, let me know with 4 voltages. I will try to explain step by step.