Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:27 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger

Any one used this charger? If so how does it hold up? I like it as it seems to charge most types of batteries. Reasonable price!!!!!
http://www.xheli.com/thac6bachwac.html
Old 12-24-2009, 03:42 AM
amacron

Default RE: Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger

I have that charger I havent had one problem with it. Be aware in order to charge a 6 cell batt you must use the external DC power supply not the built in AC power supply the internal AC power supply is not strong enough to handle it.

other than that is has worked great for me. by the way it says it dosent come with the optional temp sensor but mine came with it.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:49 PM
bustanut666

so are you saying my 6cell 3000mah NIMHbattery will not work with this thunder ac6 charger unless i charge it using DC power??
Old 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Sal Bandini

You can charge 6 cell NiMh off the AC. I have done it countless times.

In fact, you should be able to do all your charging off AC. 50W is not too much for internal supply to handle.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
46u

It will work but take longer on AC. The only thing I found I do not like about this charger is the low wattage power supply but for half or less what others cost I like mine.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Sal Bandini

What battery are you charging that it takes longer?

According to manual it has dual power both inputs to 50W.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:03 PM
46u

I am sorry it is one of my other chargers that has more wattage on DC then it does on AC. The reason I go the AC6 was I wanted something for Lipos that has a storage charge setting on it. I stand corrected. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 04-19-2014, 11:19 PM
rkeysdc

Hey everyone! I am new and just got a Thunder ac6 charger for my airsoft gun. This charger was recommended by a few different people in the airsoft world. I just unpacked it and charged my first Turnigy 3s 1200 mAh battery just fine. I then put on my second one (same everything) exactly the same way I did with the first battery. I hooked up the balance charging plug and then started to plug in the Dean's connector end and as soon as I touch the male/female plugs the balance board sparked and started smoking! I immediately unplugged the power and took everything in to a local hobby store. The battery is fine, the guy wouldn't check the actual charger but said the balance board is fried. I burned the "connection" from the balance board plug to the 3s plug on the board.
Is this normal? Should this be a warranty issue? Should I get a different charger? Can I get replacement balance boards if the charger is in fact a good charger but this was a freak incident?
Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rkeysdc
Hey everyone! I am new and just got a Thunder ac6 charger for my airsoft gun. This charger was recommended by a few different people in the airsoft world. I just unpacked it and charged my first Turnigy 3s 1200 mAh battery just fine. I then put on my second one (same everything) exactly the same way I did with the first battery. I hooked up the balance charging plug and then started to plug in the Dean's connector end and as soon as I touch the male/female plugs the balance board sparked and started smoking! I immediately unplugged the power and took everything in to a local hobby store. The battery is fine, the guy wouldn't check the actual charger but said the balance board is fried. I burned the "connection" from the balance board plug to the 3s plug on the board.
Is this normal? Should this be a warranty issue? Should I get a different charger? Can I get replacement balance boards if the charger is in fact a good charger but this was a freak incident?
Any help is appreciated.
Chances are that you managed to connect something backwards, and shorted things out via the balance board. Either that, or the second battery was not wired the same as the first.