Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

LIPO BATTS AND COLD TEMPS?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

LIPO BATTS AND COLD TEMPS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:54 PM
smorlock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIPO BATTS AND COLD TEMPS?

Two questions about LIPOs
1 Do cold temps affect output? Do the packs need to be kept at a warm temp before flying? When I checked watts on a 5 cell 3850 pack it was very slugish and then got pretty hot, as it heated up the watts came up.

2 I had a crash with a 5 cell pack and the corner of the case is dented. Should this batt be disposed of or is there a way to check and see if it is still ok?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:19 PM
The Gopher
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LIPO BATTS AND COLD TEMPS?

Howdy, Yes lipos need to be warmed. Learned that the hard way on a hand launch Phase 3 squeel (squall), Came to life after the plane was tore up.
On the 5 cell dents are OK if the pak isn't staying warm and charges ok. I would keep an eye on it for a while. If one cell does go bad salvage the rest of it. If you can't do it talk to somebody and maybe save some bucks.
While on the subject of damaged batteries. If you wanted to try your hand at soldering on them, no better time to practice. If you trash it Oh Well at least you tried. Just be on the safe side don't burn down the house.

One more lesson I learned, The lucky way. After a crash a damaged battery might not show itself for hours. I ran out of talent and altitude. Picked up the pieces gave the Batt a once over and threw it into the console of my truck. about 3 hours later I was digging for my smokes and touched the batt and it was as warm as it was when I first removed it. I got lucky it was a corner got ripped open on just one cell. This could have easily torched my truck. The batt spent the night on the conc steps outside until I could dig into it better.

Until then I usually did what I did , After a crash, Look at it then load it up. Within a few days of my close call a bud came home to a smokey house and a hole burned into the carpet. Same deal crashed batt came to life after he left for supper and was just begging to melt down.

Don't be afraid of them just respect them and outsmart them