Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

battery for trainer

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 04:05 PM
gmht1989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery for trainer

i just ordered the yellow cub j3 trainer, the $69.00 one. i would like to buy a couple of extra batteries. what would you recommend. i would like to get something stronger than the oem battery, i am very new to this, thanks for the help.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:39 AM
jdetray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: battery for trainer

I'm not familiar with which J3 you are talking about. I also am not sure what you mean by "stronger."

If you want a battery that will permit longer flights, then a battery of the same voltage as the stock battery but with a greater capacity (mAh) is what you want. The only question is whether the extra weight of a higher-capacity battery might be too much for the plane to carry.

If you are looking for a battery to make the plane fly faster, you could get a battery with a higher voltage than the stock battery. BUT that is very risky. If the motor and speed controller are not design to work with a higher voltage, you could permanently damage both of them.

Someone who is familar with your plane might know if it can survive a higher-voltage battery. Until you know for sure, I would not recommend it.

- Jeff