Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Battery And Charger Combo I Really Really Need Help

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Battery And Charger Combo I Really Really Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:08 AM
leadfootdriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery And Charger Combo I Really Really Need Help

Im planning on buying an E-flite P-40 300 arf and I need to know before I buy all these parts for it if this battery and charger combo will work or not I really dont want to order all of this and have to find out I cant charge my battery because my charger isnt compatible with it and not be able to fly my plane all because of this. So this will be my first time buying a LIPO battery but I know all the saftey rules like charging it in a battery bunker or in a pot of sand and to never ever ever EVER leave a LIPO battery on the charger unattended any help is greatly appreciated Here is the battery 430mAh 2S 7.4V 20C LiPo, 20AWG JST

and this is the charger I can afford to buy and the one I want Celectra 1-3 Cell LiPo DC Charger [EFLC3005]
Old 05-28-2010, 04:04 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery And Charger Combo I Really Really Need Help

yes it will work....

personally I would try and save more money for a multi chemistry digital charger..

more useful and you are able to tell a bit more about the health of your battery.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:25 PM
leadfootdriver

Could you explain a bit more on the multi chemistry thing?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

just meaning a charger that can charge more than one type of battery....

NiMh
NiCd
Li Ion
Li PO
A123's etc. etc
Old 05-29-2010, 07:22 AM
fmw

I think there is more to it than simply the ability to charge different kinds of batteries. I, for one, use only LIPO so I don't really need anything else. But there are all kinds of other benefits to having a high quality charger. An obvious one is that it monitors and reads the voltage (per cell and total) while it works. It charges batteries faster. Contrary to popular opinion it isn't necessary to balance batteries every time you charge. In between balance charges you can do a fast charge and that saves time. I only balance when the voltage readings per cell get too varied.My Hyperion batteries will tolerate charge rates up to 5C and you can't do that through a balance jack. My charger will handle a charge rate of that magnitude even though I don't pushthe batteries that hard.Better chargers are more reliable.They finish when they should be finished charging and are more accurate. They can charge larger batteries. Mine, for instance, handles up to 6s batteries. I only use 3 and 4S but who knows what I might use int the future? They can discharge as well as charge and condition batteries (not so imiportant for LIPO but it is for things like NiCd).

If you have no charger and can only afford the basic one, then that's what you should do. If you are looking to upgrade, I would suggest saving up for a charger in $100 and up range. They are very slick.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:48 PM
leadfootdriver

Well I only need this for a single lipo maybe two this will be my for my only airplane at the moment my rc drifter has its own charger so this will be enough thanks for the replies guys
Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 AM
learn2turn

What would you recommend in a $100+ digital charger?

-l2t