Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

What to do with trashed lipos?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

What to do with trashed lipos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:00 PM
squeaky penguin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with trashed lipos?

I've got three bad Li-Po's. Two are over-discharged and one is overcharged and puffed. It there any safe way to dispose of them? Is there any place that can recycle them? I'm sure this question has been asked before, I just don't like having these sitting in my garage.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: What to do with trashed lipos?

ORIGINAL: squeaky penguin

I've got three bad Li-Po's. Two are over-discharged and one is overcharged and puffed. It there any safe way to dispose of them? Is there any place that can recycle them? I'm sure this question has been asked before, I just don't like having these sitting in my garage.
One LiPo vendor offers this:

** DISPOSAL OF LIPO BATTERIES **
Unlike NiCd batteries, lithium-polymer batteries are environmentally friendly.
For safety reasons, it’s best that LiPo cells be fully discharged before disposal (however,
if physically damaged it is NOT recommended to discharge LiPo cells before disposal -
see below for details). The batteries must also be cool before proceeding with disposal
instructions. To dispose of LiPo cells and packs:
1. If any LiPo cell in the pack has been physically damaged, resulting
in a swollen cell or a split or tear in a cell’s foil covering, do NOT discharge the battery.
Jump to step 5.
2. Place the LiPo battery in a fireproof container or bucket of sand.
3. Connect the battery to a LiPo discharger. Set the discharge cutoff
voltage to the
lowest possible value. Set the discharge current to a C/10 value, with “C” being the
capacity rating of the pack. For example, the “1C” rating for a 1200mAh battery is 1.2A,
and that battery’s C/10 current value is (1.2A / 10) can be used,
such as a power resistor or set of light bulbs as long as the discharge current doesn’t
exceed the C/10 value and cause an overheating condition.
For LiPo packs rated at 7.4V and 11.1V , connect a 150 ohm resistor with a power rating
of 2 watts (commonly found at Radio Shack)to the pack’s positive and negative terminals
to safely discharge connecting it to an ESC/ motor system and allowing the motor to run
indefinitely until no power remains to further cause the system to function.
4. Discharge the battery until its voltage reaches 1.0V per cell or
lower. For resistive load type discharges, discharge the battery for up to 24 hours.
5. Submerse the battery into bucket or tub of salt water. This container should have a lid,
but it should not need to be air-tight. Prepare a plastic container (do not use metal) of cold
water. And mix in 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. Drop the battery into the salt water.
Allow the battery to remain in the tub of salt water for at least 2 weeks.
6. Remove the LiPo battery from the salt water, wrap it in newspaper or paper towels and
place it in the normal trash. They are landfill safe.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Radar65

Take them to Radio Shack.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:53 PM
mazjag

I think batteries plus will take them as well...J
Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 PM
jp_boud
My Feedback: (2)

I just got rid of one today, it was puffed so I did not trust it to discharge safely, I soaked it for about 2 weeks in a heavy salt water solution, (stirring or shaking every couple days) then drove a wooden stake through the center. Let it soak for another week and tossed it in the trash. That was pretty much the directions that came with the new batteries for disposal of a damaged lipo.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:57 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Thunder Power factory is here is Las Vegas, so I just drop it off there and they give me a new one for 50% of retail.