E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

rhino transmitter lipo

Old 07-19-2010, 04:45 PM
wings 540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default rhino transmitter lipo

hello, doing alittle snooping around the net and found this [link=http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7346]battery[/link] on hobbyking.com

i will be useing it in my DX6 (yes, the old radio. not DX6i/DX7) the discription lists that it has a JR discharge plug, which to my knowledge is the same at the stock DX6 battery. my main concern is how to i charge it?? it appears to have a balance plug, but i do not have a balancing charger only and external balancer. the original charger for the DX6 is meant to charge NiCd batteries so im pretty sure i cannot use that..?

any other advice is much appreciated!

-Wings
Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: rhino transmitter lipo

A number 1, DO NOT Charge the Lipo in your transmitter!!!! If you have one of the increasingly rare Lipo fires, it WILL destroy your Tx.

The external balancer is no problem. You, will, however need a LiPo rated charger, which, since you have a balancer, I assume you have.
Walt
Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 AM
wings 540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes, i do have a charger. i neglected to include that in my original post. its a Hobbico Quick Field [link=http://www.hobbico.com/chargers/hcap0290.html]charger[/link] mkII. i have combed the net looking for a female JST-HX that i could solder to a deans with no luck. all of them have four wires, like a typical 3S balance plug.

Or, can i charge the battery through the discharge plugs? with my aircraft lipos i charge them through the same lead that they are discharged from.

thankyou!

-Wings
Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's how I charge all mine. Is the Hobbico Lipo rated?
Walt
Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
wings 540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes, the hobbico is lipo rated 1-3 cells. the only reason i am asking is because in the description on hobbyking it states that there are two discharge leads (one for futaba and one for JR) and one charge lead, which is also the balance lead. im worried that if i charge it through the discharge leads it might damage that pack in some way.