E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

VERY confused about what charger and equipment I need.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:19 PM
lkramer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default VERY confused about what charger and equipment I need.

I know it has been discussed over and over, but after searching old posts I am no closer to understanding what I do and do not need.

I have a PZ corsair and hope to have more PZ planes in the future, or similar lipo powered planes and helis.
I have the stock PZ battery and PZ car charger that will balance the cells, as well as 2 additional aftermarket 2200mhp batteries that I use for flying.

I am looking for a charger that can be used in my house and in my car, can balance the cells, can charge within a reasonable amount of time, can discharge the battery, and can charge 2 or more packs at once.
Right now I only have lipos and plan to continue to buy them unless I find a reason not too. If there any other important charger features I need to know about I would love to know what they are.

I have no understanding of the technical terms used in figuring out load, current, amps....etc and how they work together. (if anyone has a link they can provide to help me with that I would appreciate it)
Basically I bought a plane and started flying it with the gear it came with after many hours on the sim.

Is there anything else I should have regarding battery charging, discharging, testing, maintenece...etc?

I really enjoy flying, but I cant change a light bulb without a manual. Electronics is another language to me.
Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Dr_Chuckie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: VERY confused about what charger and equipment I need.

Based on what I have seen here, the answers to all of your questions are here if you look. They ceratinly have AC/DC chargers capable of charging more than one battery at a time (I've seen them but don't know of any specific brand), they do tend to be more expensive(in the $200+). What you need to look at is how many total amps they can charge each battery at. Some of the multi charges only charge eac battery at 4 or less amps which is going to mean a longer chrage time. Turnigy has a 4 port charger that will charge each battery at 6 amps but it is DC only. I use to balance charge my batteries each time but since I moved to bigger battery packs, I gone to fast charging at the field and balance charging at home. Fast charging halves the time it takes to charge the batteries and thus far has not caused any issues.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:24 PM
jdetray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ANY DC charger can also be used at home. All you need is a DC power supply of the proper size.

Here is a page showing a variety of DC power supplies from one vendor, Pyramid:
http://radioproshop.com/pyramid-ps/powersupply.htm

Pyramid is not the only brand or the best brand, but they produce many different sizes of DC power supplies.

- Jeff
Old 08-26-2010, 01:30 PM
plane-addict

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want to be able to charge in house and in the car, then you need a 12V charger. If you want to charge in the car, you hook it up to your car battery (not inside the car from the cigarette lighter preferably). When you want to charge in the house also, you need something that can provide 12V. There are a few options, like modifying a computer power supply (but if you need a manual to change a light bulb, that is way over your head), a car battery charger or a 110 to 12V power converter (I think it called AC adapter - English is not my mother language). The current that the power source can deliver must be 5A or higher for most batteries. You said you have 2200 mAh (not mhp) batteries, so that will do.

This could be a power source for inside your house, just to get an idea: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...~240v_5A#

If you need help with this, let me know by replying here.

If you want to charge multiple batteries at the same time (there are not many), have a look at this charger: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10327

You could also use 2 smaller chargers.

If you want to charge faster, then you should use the new Nano tech lipo batteries. They can be charged higher rates than the 'normal' lipo batteries can, so you have shorter charge times.

I hope this helps!