RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flight Power Sources (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flight-power-sources-126/)
-   -   LiPo Fatality (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flight-power-sources-126/2413656-lipo-fatality.html)

bdavison 12-08-2004 01:28 PM

LiPo Fatality

Well, I was flying my shockflyer outside, and doing inverted spins. I pulled out at the bottom, hit full throttle, and nothing happened.
No thrust means no flying, so it just settled down in the top of a tree.

Well, I couldnt get it down, because I had to go to work.
I came back that evening, and luckily the plane had came down out of the tree.

I figured the LiPo would be toast. I was right.

My poor LiPo died a most horrible death, as its life was sucked out leaving only 3V left out of its 3cells. I tried resusitation with the triton charger, but to no avail. She shall never fly again.

My question now is...how do I dispose of this battery. I dont want to throw this volatile thing into the trash, and watch as the garbage truck explodes. I dont want to bury it because of leakage of the caustic chemicals.

What shall I do?

msm9724 12-08-2004 01:36 PM

RE: LiPo Fatality

You should put it in a container with salt and water and leave it in there for some time.

Baron UK 12-08-2004 01:37 PM

Yep in salt water.

Matt Kirsch 12-08-2004 01:47 PM

NO! Do NOT pierce the cell before the soak! There have been instances where the cell has been punctured for disposal that have resulted in a fire. Puncturing the cells creates a direct internal short.

The salt water will conduct enough electricity that the cells will slowly discharge. Just leave it in the solution until it stops bubbling.

cwrr5 12-08-2004 01:50 PM

Garbage truck explode? It's not dynamite! :D hehehe!

Discharge the cell/pack to 2.5 volts(or less) per cell, soak in a suitable container filled with saltwater(get as much salt in as you can) for 24 hours or so, make sure the voltage is 0 volts after soaking, then throw it in the trash. Don't worry bout the chemicals - they'll be taken care of.

;)

Edit: Just like Matt said - DO NOT PIERCE THE CASE!!! Just drop the whole thing in.

MUSIC PUBLISHER 12-08-2004 03:13 PM

Holly comoly..these lipos are something else..they sound more dangerous then spent radioactive fuel rods...I know they are suppose to be the greatest thing around..but they dont seem like something id want to get involved with..at least until the technology improves even more..however long that may take...P.s..we have a nuclear waste faciltiy 3 miles from my home{maybe this explains my lack of mental capacity} ..if the saltwater doesnt work..mail them to me..and ill discard them..LOL...

cwrr5 12-08-2004 04:11 PM

hehehe! They're not THAT bad! Hmmm..... nucular powrd plaines...... :D

Leety 12-08-2004 07:35 PM

how do you discharge a pack to less than 2.5v, if the charger you use doesn't have a discharge feature?

jakjr 12-08-2004 08:08 PM

Connect it directly to a small (like 370 size or smaller) motor and just let it run until the motor stops.

For some reason, I was execting to read about somone getting killed by a li-po pack [X(]

MUSIC PUBLISHER 12-08-2004 11:18 PM

I think all lipos should come with a "complimentary" radiation suit and mask...LOL..jus teasin...

Rhilluk 12-09-2004 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: jakjr

Connect it directly to a small (like 370 size or smaller) motor and just let it run until the motor stops.

For some reason, I was execting to read about somone getting killed by a li-po pack [X(]
I was too [&:]

Shahid 12-09-2004 12:35 PM

For some reason, I was execting to read about somone getting killed by a li-po pack
same here

typicalaimster 12-09-2004 04:31 PM

Yeah I thought the Lipo pack exploded and caught the plane on fire! I was disapointed.

xplayer930 12-10-2004 11:42 AM

i use LiPos in my foamies, you guys stress WAYYYY to much! Your forgetting that our cell phones run on a LiPo and we carry those in our pockets. Dont worry so much and enjoy the hobby:D

bdavison 12-10-2004 07:13 PM

HAHAHAHA,

Yeah, sorry to disappoint everyone, but no one died from my small LiPo tragedy. Although I think my pocket book suffered an anurism when it found out it had to replace it.

Rhilluk 12-10-2004 08:06 PM

Thats one thing I find very difficult to accept about lipo. When nicads first came out, they would explode if not charged properly. I remember exploding them in the physics lab by running a high voltage through them backwards.

I saw a guy at a field saying how he didn't want anything to do with lipo's, they were too dangeous, they might explode or catch fire.

The thing is he was telling me all of this while he was fueling up his DA 50 powered extra with a FAG in his gob. Now I couldn't get my head round this.

cwrr5 12-10-2004 08:18 PM

"Yeah I thought the Lipo pack exploded and caught the plane on fire! I was disapointed."

I'll see what I can "arrange" when I get home.... :D Honestly, thats what I was thinking too when I saw the post. hehehe!

cloudancer03 12-11-2004 02:08 PM

these batteries are relatively safe..hummm what about nuclearbattery.lol ..I never respected anyting more than li -po batteries.I saw what happened to one at last years neat event..the flames shot out from the guy's station wagon at 2 feet.man o man that will get your attention..

I wont leave them out in the open they are stored in a metal tin box and I wont charge them in my workshop and walk away as my house is all paid for..I am joking a bit but when someone says oh just puncture the cell eeeeeeeegaaaaaddddd. salt water huh just heard that this fall and ingenious and so simple..

xplayer930 12-12-2004 09:29 PM

When i bought my first LiPo my dad wasnt to happy about it cuz he worries as soon as i crash the pack is gonna blow up. My mom worries that im gonna burn down the house. I NEVER leave the LiPos unattended to.

bdavison 12-12-2004 10:10 PM

The LiPo's are safe as long as you use them correctly. Im ashamed to admit it, but I've put some of mine through the worst possible scenarios. Dropped them, flew one into a pond (still have it and it still works fine), countless crashes, etc. As far as I can tell, the only way to get one to blow up, is by charging it incorrectly.

Ive never had one explode. Knock on wood.

I keep mine in a old Ammo can, and charge them in it too. Been thinking about that battery bunker thing, but havent bought one yet.

crashawk 12-14-2004 01:22 AM

<As far as I can tell, the only way to get one to blow up, is by charging it incorrectly. >

yep done that, only it was a hard case li-ion pack. had 2 packs sitting in a coffee cup, both being charged by different chargers. cell phone rang and I answered it and went into the house to talk to my dad. after about 25 minutes I heard what sounded like a rocket going off in the garage. I was lucky, cell vented and rocketed across my garage in the oppisite direction of a large box of balsa wood, the other cell in the pack was still venting flames about 12 inches when I walked in the garage but it was facing down so didn't go anywhere. good thing they were cheap packs. turned out the mk2 charger I got from a friend didn't have the instructions so I didn't know you had to push the button 3 times for lithium packs. my fault. now I only charge under supervision, if I leave the garage I unplug the pack and I have a fire extingesher handy. :eek:

they are still safe if you follow the rules and use some common sense.
I thought maybe someone had died when I saw the title, is that bad?

Jason

RCFlyer55 12-14-2004 09:52 AM

Foofydoo,
A fag in his gop, that makes me want to move to the UK just to be able to say that and not have everyone here in the US look at me like I have 3 heads. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

RCFlyer55 12-14-2004 09:53 AM

I charge mine in a fire safe box I bought on sale for $20. from office Max. BTW I also store them in there, not in the plane.