Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade 400 for first Heli

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade 400 for first Heli

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade 400 for first Heli

I am interested in getting into helicopters. I will be learning on my own and have no one but the internet to help me learn. Is the Blade 400 a good first heli? If not, what would be a good one instead?

- I will be using it outside only in windless to mildly windy conditions.

- I like the size of the Blade 400. I don't want one of the ultra-mini palm sized ones. Is 25.xx in. unrealistic for a first helicopter?

-I'd like to keep the cost under $400 but am willing to go a little over that for the right one.

-Must be RTF. I'll learn the inner workings when I crash it and have to take it apart.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Drumheller Dave

Default RE: Blade 400 for first Heli

I had the mcx first..then Bought the 400.................then the SR........then the Msr.......I think the SR is the good one...wished I bought that second...then again made me appreciate the 400 more when I learned........K..the SR
Old 04-13-2011, 06:38 PM
s_harn

i work at a hobbystore and i always try to discourage people from the 400 right off the bat, a fully cp heli like that is an expensive crash waiting to happen, 400ish for the heli and the first time you drive it into the ground and put another 100 back into it you'll quickly be second guessing yerself or just lobbing it on a shelf n forgetting it's existence, the micro's are perfect for learning because there VERY forgiving to minor crashes, the MSR is a fantastic lil heli to learn with if you wanna jump into single rotor heli's, i usually recommend the phoenix sim, or one of the MCx heli's and after a week the person will come back and work there way up the heli line.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Drumheller Dave

He's right......I almost gave the hobby up after the crash X every other flight......I did the phoenix sim...after I bought the sr.......I have never crashed the sr........then again..I usually hover and fly back towards me...but I,m, learning at my own pace and HAPPY
Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 PM
1320Fastback

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40
I'll learn the inner workings when I crash it and have to take it apart.
No offense but this will be the first 3 seconds of your first 5 flights if you start with a CP heli with no experience.

Get a FP and save yourself some $$$. After your FP is under your complete control in all orientations then get the B400.

My 0.03
Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 PM
n3721c

I started with the mcx2 then the sr120 then the msr and sr andfinally the 400 but had troublehandeling the 400 so I got ride of it and bought an esky belt cp v2 and never had a problem with it way better then the 400 without having to do any mods to servos ,ect.Itis like flying a fixed pitch heli compared to the 400 less twitchy slower head speed.First day I flew it was in a 10 mph wind and it handled it really good.I'm not saying the 400 isn't any good but it isnot for a first time pilot if you want to go with a cp heli.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Sigma.40

What is so hard about the 400 helis? Does size make that big of a difference? Is there a Heli at least a little bigger than a micro that would be ok to start with? I'm afraid of spending $250ish on a micro heli and having it feel like the $30 ones at Walmart. Know, though, that I know NOTHINGabout helis. Appreciate the help.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:04 AM
i20sailor

Bigger heli, bigger $$ for parts. Larger mass = guranteed failures when crashed. CP head speed = even bigger failures when crashed.

I started with the mSR for indoor flght and just bought a mCPx to learn how to handle a CP. Both these helis are pretty resilient to crashes and parts are relatively inexpensive. I also picked up a 120SR for stress-free outdoor flight and plan to get a 400-500 size heli once I can confidently handle the mCPx.

As a noob I can tell you that you will crash a lot and having a heli that survives is important. I can also tell you that a CP heli is very difficult to ontrol and solidly controlling a fixed pitch is a good pre-requisite.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Sigma.40

OK, what about the Exceed Classima 300? All the reviews say it has settings for beginners like setting max throttle and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember what they called them.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Drumheller Dave

for the money...I think the SR is a decent choice...go slow.......play slow...don't do stupid....still havn't smashed mine........training gear out of 1/4 inch dowling and three inch whiffle balls did the trick for a year.....use the stock training gear now as no nice place to fly
Old 04-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Sigma.40

I put up an ad on CL offering to trade my Xbox 360 and games for RC heli stuff and a guy offered me 2 RTF Blade 400's in perfect working order and also the Realflight G5 sim. I think I am going to take it. I think that I am going to spend a lot of time on the sim and then slowly work my way into the 400. I read about a guy who started helis with the Blade 400 and all he did was tie a 12" piece of twine from the heli to something on the ground (while using homeade training gear) when he could get it to hover in one spot at 12" he extended the twine to 18" and so on and so forth. After all that I've read, I think that with that idea, training gear and the simulator I can start with the B-400.

And hell, if I crash the first one, I'll always have a backup
Old 04-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Drumheller Dave

Have fun..thats what it is all about anyways......we all have opinions on what to do and what is best..its your money.......your hobby......makes you feel good ...do it........we are not here for a long time.....have a good time...Dave
Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Drumheller Dave

By the way.....tell your wife....least I am outside in the yard instead of in front of the tv with the x box in the house...geeeez
Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: Drumheller Dave

By the way.....tell your wife....least I am outside in the yard instead of in front of the tv with the x box in the house...geeeez
Ha Ha.

Actually, I got a Raptor 30 yesterday. Got a really good deal on it. Came with a really nice remote, the thing to pump gas into it, 1 gallon of fuel,the starter, lots of parts, and the Realflight Sim G3 with training remote. All for $320. He also threw in a NiB Falcon 40 and gave my daughter a used but good Falcon X.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Rob2160

I am interested in getting into helicopters. I will be learning on my own and have no one but the internet to help me learn. Is the Blade 400 a good first heli? If not, what would be a good one instead?

- I will be using it outside only in windless to mildly windy conditions.

- I like the size of the Blade 400. I don't want one of the ultra-mini palm sized ones. Is 25.xx in. unrealistic for a first helicopter?

-I'd like to keep the cost under $400 but am willing to go a little over that for the right one.

-Must be RTF. I'll learn the inner workings when I crash it and have to take it apart.
Hey

Just read through this thread..

Please don't be offended by my direct remarks.. I welcome you to this great hobby and wish you every success with RC helis as I am a total junkie and have to fly them every day..

You asked for advice on the Blade 400 and got some very good advice against it as a first helicopter from some experienced pilots..

I will echo their comments...

The Blade 400 is ok, but learning on it as a first helicopter is just going to waste $$...

I flew RC planes for 30 years, then started on Coaxials, moved to the MSR / 120 SR and then after literally hundreds of flights Itried my firstCP helicopter.. the extra degree of difficulty was a quantum leap above the MSR.

Don't discount a Blade MSR because of its size.. It is nothing like the Toy 3 channel helicopters in Walmart.. They are Toys and are barely capable of any real control

The Blade MSR is a full 4 channel helicopter and very robust.. It will teach you everything you need to know about orientation, hovering NOSE IN and will be the perfect foundation for moving up to a larger helicopter..

The beauty of the MSR is that you can fly it indoors at night or if the weather is no good for flying outdoors...

Consider it an investmeet and it will actually cost you less to buy an MSR and use it as your trainer than trying to learn on a full size CP heli first up!

When you can hover your MSR NOSEin right in front of your face.. and walk around your house, with the heli facing you.. and you can land on a drink coaster Nose In.. then you are ready to start on a CP heli..

Again, please don't be offended.. Just trying to save you $$ and lots of frustration and time wasted rebuilding the larger helis..

Here is my MSR.. look how tough it is..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkEJf0e5lUE[/youtube]

And even though I now fly 450 Heli regularly, I still love my MSR and fly it often...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASC9akSqQxw[/youtube]

On another point.. my experience with the Blade 400 was all bad.. mine had faulty servos out of the box and after I replaced those the plastic tail failed in flight... I have since moved to the 450 TREX (clones) and they are far superior helicopters at a fraction of the cost.. I have 8 Helis for less than 3 Blade 400s would have cost. .

Cheers and good luck with it whichever path you choose..

Just don't be this guy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx5Es0bnulM[/youtube]
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Rob2160

As for the wife...

Show her this... and tell her MY wife fully supports my hobby... she'll back off....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLb0n-4mO30[/youtube]

And then let her watch this... and tell her she needs to be more supportive... like Rob's wife...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOCvZEnf6PY[/youtube]
Old 04-28-2011, 03:47 AM
Sigma.40

Actually, I got a Raptor 30 yesterday.... He also threw in a NiB Falcon 40 and gave my daughter a used but good Falcon X.
Not getting the Blade 400. I am practicing on the Falcon 40 and the Realflight Sim before moving on to the Raptor 30. May also get a Blade SR if the guy on CL offers me a good price.

-And none of your remarks were remotely offensive.