Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

blade cx won't gain altitude

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

blade cx won't gain altitude

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Cameron52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blade cx won't gain altitude

i bought a blade cx about 2 and a half years ago and it sat for the past 9 months or so while i was at college with very occasional use. Now when i fly it, it only gets about a foot off the ground. At first it would barely leave the ground and as gotten slightly higher after each charge. If i continue to cycle the battery will this go away or is my battery shot? i play with rc trucks mainly and don't know much about helis. thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:36 PM
JPEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: blade cx won't gain altitude

ORIGINAL: Cameron52

i bought a blade cx about 2 and a half years ago and it sat for the past 9 months or so while i was at college with very occasional use. Now when i fly it, it only gets about a foot off the ground. At first it would barely leave the ground and as gotten slightly higher after each charge. If i continue to cycle the battery will this go away or is my battery shot? i play with rc trucks mainly and don't know much about helis. thanks in advance for any help.

Hello Cameron,

There can be one or two reasons for this behavior with your heli.

1. In what state was the battery charge while sitting on the shelf for 9 months?

Was it fully charged?

Was either of the batteries two cells below 3.6?

2. Considering you have RC cars do you not have a battery tester which plugs into the white balance adapter on the battery? Or a battery charger that provides this count?

I would suspect the battery is gone, they do that if not shelved in "storage mode". Leave a near full or fully charged on the shelf, well...... it just kills the battery. The rule of thumb is don't leave a battery at

full charge level for more than two weeks or it starts to deteriorate the cells.

The other thing that happens form time to time is the two screws on the bottom of the main gear between the battery tray and the frame come loose. When that happens the one set of blades turns but the

other is just "loosely following". To check for this, take out the battery, and turn the heli upside down. Stick something small like a straightened paper clip through both gears, then carefully try to turn the

lower blades first, then the upper blades. If the upper blades move then the two screws on the silver collar under the heli are loose so it's not tight to its gear, the bottom one. There is also a Allen screw at

the top of the heli's head on the side below the blades that holds that part of the head tight to its shaft. Take a look at these but as you said, it flew before you shelved it so more than likely the battery is TOAST.

Good luck JPEE