Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade mSR

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Kaiden32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade mSR

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and I just wanted to say hey to everyone! I actually have a Syma S107 helicopter right now and I am looking to upgrade to a Blade mSR. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they think that that would be too big of a jump going from a 3 to 4 channel and the mSR not being coaxial like the S107. I was just wondering if it would be better for me to get an mCX and get used to the 4 channel before going to a single rotor. I am just looking for a little more speed and manouverability, because basically with the S107 all you can do really is just fly in circles, so if anyone could tell me what they think would be better that would be great.

Thanks,
Kaiden
Old 07-16-2011, 02:39 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Blade mSR

I have a mSR as my first heli. It's pretty stable, and you can set it up with higher rates and a different set up on the swashplate when you are ready for more advanced manuverability. I avoided a coaxial copter after flying them on the simulator - thought that I would get board pretty fast.

There are some nice 3rd party upgrades available for the mSR as well.

Greg

Old 07-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Adam Hied

A 3 and 4 channel coaxial are both really easy to fly. Almost the same really. Get the msr or 120sr if you don't have any problems with the syma. Just remember, you will crash. Everyone does. I just had a hard landing with my 120sr and nothing broke. The msr being a lighter bird won't have enough inertia to really hurt it in a crash as long as you remember to kill the throttle.

Have fun![8D]
Old 07-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Kaiden32

Thanks! I think I will look into the 120 SR also and see if that is something that would work for me too.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:28 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Just keep in mind these are all indoor birds, they do not like any wind, even from a ceiling fan. I have a whole room air cleaner and it puts out enough of a draft to screw with the mSR, doesn't effect the 120 SR as much, but still can influence its path.  I have flown the 120 in my barn, with the doors closed and it flys pretty good, much more stable then the mSR, the mSR is too quick for a newb, and would discourage you easily, the 120 can move pretty good, but is less sensitive to inputs than the mSR.  One drawback, hit something with the 120, it has more mass and does tend to break easier. So far one pair of main blades, and 2 tail rotor shafts. I snapped one, broke the motor wire on another. 

Someday I may, just may get the small full collective one, which should be a bit easier to maintain height, but more difficult to actually fly. The fixed pitch ones, the hardest thing I found was keeping altitude, I hit the ceiling a lot, or wind up dumping it.  Probably when winter rolls around and its too cold and snowy to fly a plane. 
Old 07-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Kaiden32

Do you think it would be too big of a step to go to a SR? I just found an SR for a really good deal thats why I'm wondering.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Adam Hied

The thing with the SR is if you have a hard landing you will bend or break something. It does handle wind much better than the 120, i've had mine out in 12mph winds. My 120sr is a pain to fly in even a light breeze, but I get more flight time on it because I can still fly it in my living room. here's a video I shot from tonight:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgJp6G7HcwE[/youtube]

It is very stable, I just like banging the sticks around. I've also crashed it into the coffee table at least 2 times with no damage.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Kaiden32

Thanks for the video! I decided against the SR because I still crash. Not a lot but enough to do some damage... I found a mSR and a CX2 for $125 for both and it comes with a E-flite LP5DSM controller. They are used, but they are in good condition, plus it is an awesome deal, I mean, the mSR is $130 new for the RTF and the CX2 is like $180 if i'm not mistaken. The CX2 apparently has some upgrades, I'm not sure which ones, but hey, they're upgrades... . So I am going to go pick those up today, and then once I get used to the mSR I am planning on either getting a 120 SR or just skipping that and getting a SR.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Adam Hied

sweet deal. Honestly, you may want to skip the SR and go for a 450. It has issues that become annoying once you get proficient. It is still fun, but i do regret buying mine. At that size a belt driven tail is really necessary. Have fun and keep the skids down.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Kaiden32

So I went and got them and brought them home and the mSR spun like crazy...(I did some research and figured out it was probably the tail motor that needed to be replaced.) So I took it back to the guy and he gave me my money back. So I'm just going to go buy a new mSR at the LHS so I hopefully wont have to deal with that again.
Adam, so what your saying is skip the SR and go straight to the 400 after the mSR? What kind of issues does the SR have? I actually might buy a 120 SR before that though to get used to the bigger size though...do you think that is a good idea or do you think if I just got some good training gear and took it slow I would be fine?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:48 AM
trickle007

stick with the MSR and get a good flight sim. When I first started I was hell bent on not getting a flight sim but I finally bought one and it just makes a world of difference, and crashes are free. Then move up the ladder to the big collective pitch birds.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Adam Hied

I am. The real issue with the Blade SR is the tail. Once you get past the basics a motor driven tail just can't keep up. I really think it can be unnerving for someone new to ccpm helis. Don't get me wrong. It isn't a bad heli, but if you have any plans of moving up to something bigger it is a total waste of money. It loops and rolls okay, and can even do an inverted hover. Just don't expect it to do 3d or fast piros for that matter. My gripe is it just isn't a good heli to grow with like a 450 belt or tt driven tail heli will be. That said mine will be going on my bookshelf once I pull the trigger on a 450.

Me personally. I started with cp and did the raad school. I have had exactly 2 crashes. One from a muscle spasm and the other from forgetting to set up my gyro when I got the dx6i. Both resulted in a bent feathering shaft. It cost 5 bucks
total for both crashes.

Now, if you want a 120sr get it. I love mine and fly it every day. However, if you can fly the Msr I don't think you need to as long as you remember that if a 400-450 size heli hits you it will probably end in some kind of cut. Like trickle said a sim will be helpful. I just flying model simulator and clearview with a cheap usb controller but it helps.

Also, since you have a few bnf helis now. It would be a good idea to get a spektrum or jr transmitter. At least the dx6i.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Kaiden32

Okay so first, what is a good flight sim?
And second, I would like to eventually get something like a dx6i its just that they are pretty expensive, but from what I've heard, it is worth it. I can see how a nicer transmitter would help helicopter performance, but I don't really understand about the programming though. What kind of things can you program?

Also I have heard about even the mSR having problems with the tail motor going out or whatever, so I can see how that could be an even bigger problem on something bigger like the SR, especially since you can't do a lot of 3D.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Adam Hied

Phoenix, and real flight are both good. Clearview is okay but I think it feels a little weird for a sim. For now download flying model simulator. It's free and will help with orientation.

The dx6i really is worth it. I LOVE mine. As far as programming, I still haven't even used it all yet. I basically set up the dual rates, max travel, throttle curves, pitch curves, both mixes, gyro settings, trim settings, and countdown timer so I don't damage my batteries. If you want me to elaborate on the programming just let me know.

You are exactly right about the tail motor. However, my sr had it 172nd flight yesterday on the original tail motor, heck original everything other than bearings, o-rings, and feathering shaft. Flies better than new now that its setup on the dx6i, but i still have tail blowouts.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Kaiden32

Cool. So I've been flying the mSR since I got it and it is starting to have problems with spinning to the left a little bit and when I try to turn it to the right it goes really slow. I'm wondering if it might just be the tail motor. When you turn it left it slows down, and when you turn it right it speeds up still, so that is why I'm wondering if its just going out and needs to be replaced. If so its fine, I just wonder why it would go out so soon.

Now I understand more why a belt driven tail is better.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Adam Hied

Exactly why. Just get a couple extra's and go ahead and pop a new one in.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Kaiden32

Okay so am I gonna have to buy an entire new tail assembly or just the motor, because it looks like the wire goes all the way through the tail.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Adam Hied

yep. looks like that is the only way it comes
Old 08-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Kaiden32

Okay so I called horizon hobby product support and it gave me an option to leave a call back number and they would call me when it was my turn basically. With in a half an hour they had called me back and I had a new tail boom assembly on the way. It turns out that this problem was covered by the warranty because it was brand new. Thanks horizon!!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Adam Hied

Very true, they have the best support I've ever seen. I've had to do the same thing a few times before.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Kaiden32

Yep. I have broken one flybar and I bent another one today, so I'm gonna have to go get another one. Luckily I have a LHS like 5 minutes away... And the new tail boom assembly is working great! I'm still working on being able to maneuver it around well, but with the easy mode on the transmitter it is quite a bit like a coaxial. I'm really liking the helicopter.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Adam Hied

Glad to hear it. This hobby can be addictive. Just take your time, and practice practice practice. Even with practice you will crash sometime. I just crashed my 120sr into the mailbox yesterday. Tough little bird. It just flopped over on its skids and i took off with 0 damage. What kind of progress are you making with maneuvers so far?