Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Are most of u e-flite blade owner self taught?

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Are most of u e-flite blade owner self taught?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Bigdaddybiscuitsplitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are most of u e-flite blade owner self taught?

All the models I have coming might be moot since I just came into enough money to buy some dream machines.... the question herein now is this- money being no object, what would be the ideal single rotor trainer, including radio, but NO SIMS, NO EXPERT PILOT TRAINING? Looking for the balanced high quality and parts easily available model, and remember, I am pretty darn happy with all of those qualities found with my cx2. Serious questions I will be weighing the responses when I break out the wallet. Thanks everybody
Old 04-06-2012, 04:32 AM
ATVAlliance

Old 04-06-2012, 08:53 AM
gi1mo2

Money may not be being an object, but size matters. The bigger they are, the more stable they are, but they are also more dangerous. A 450 will hurt you, a 500 will mame you and a 600 could kill you. Where do you fly? In your backyard, public area, park or reserved flying field? Don't go too big for any small or public area. You mentioned trainer, so stay within a reasonable size. Since you want RTF, your best choice will be the Blade series. Lots of spare parts availability, and the RTF models do come with good radios. Don't get anything less than a DX6i. DX7 or even DX8 would be better as you may want to get large size helis later. You may have money now, but will you have money for spare parts for years to come. Will you also have the patience to fix the heli when you crash it. The bigger they are, the more costly they are to repair, and the more likely they are to need repair if you have the slightest mishap (e.g. blade strike on ground - new main shaft, blades, feathering shaft...). Some parts will get out of stock more quickly than other. You should have a few spares on hand to avoid delays and frustration.

I do not recommend a motor driven tail unless you are looking at a small heli like the mCPx (great little guy). Go for at least belt drive, but torque tube is better, yet more expensive to repair.

You also have to think Flybar or Flybarless. For example there is a Blade 450 3D (Flybar) and Blade 450 X (Flybarless). Flybarless might better for you. Also less parts to replace in the main rotor should you crash.

You could consider the smaller Blade 300X, but I don't know much about it. Since size does matter, I would say start with a 450.

Also, don't get over confident. Don't try new tricks too quickly. It will cost you (time and money). I know you don't want a SIM, but you could use your new transmitter with some simulators (e.g. Phoenix).

Get training gear and use it.

Hope this helps!

Gilles
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 AM
bradharvy

I believe the best real life sim is the mcpx. Set up with a few simple mods, this heli will not only teach you collective management, but moves that WILL transfer over to a bigger heli! The mcpx will survive most crashes on grass when learning. The gear usually pops loose but simply slide it back up tight and away ya go. If you own a mcpx I highly reccomend looking at www.helifreak.com/ blade helicopter/mcpx. SOOO much good info all in one place!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:08 AM
kfrisbee

Self taught and still learning...

I got a 3 channel mall toy for Christmas and was bored with it by end of the day.  LHS talked me into the blade scout cx rtf which got boring by the end of the week.  Picked up the blade 120SR on a whim and learned to hover with it but the weather was bad and the 120 was too big to really have fun with in my little house so I ordered the WL V911.  The V911 taught me the basics of 4 channel heli's but I still got bored of it by the end of January so I got the mSR X rtf.  I flew the mSR X with the stock radio for 2 months and never got bored of crashing/learning/crashing/fixing/etc...  About a month ago I got a DX6i radio which makes flying the mSR X a real joy!  Because the weather hasn't cooperated I mostly fly in my small living room and very small office.  I have lots and lots of fun with this heli and am still learning every day.  Last week I got a simulator (ClearView) and am learning coordinated turns with it. 

My goal is to fly a 450 sized heli.  I have so much to learn before I move up though.

The bottom line is that if I can learn to fly RC Helicopters, anyone can. 

I personally like the micro sized heli's because I can fly any time/any where I want, indoors or outdoors.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Bigdaddybiscuitsplitter

Cool- I love hearing the learning paths taken. My problem with the sins is I have no computer- just my android phone, and no real room on my boat for a computer, I live on my boat so while I would love to have a giant scale turbine powered hughes 500 or jetranger, the reality is that even a 450 is a little big to not be in the way. While I ultimately want to learn all the killer 3d tricks, I am reasonable in taking the time to learn good tail in/ nose in basics first. Seems like the smaller models definitely wont break as much, and I already have a 6dxi tx which I so far really enjoy.
Did some preliminary setup with the 120 and the radio last night, I think the battery packs I tried are old tired and neglected... no tail rotor response at all has me worried that I need to find a 5in1, does anyone know? I already plan on getting new motors and batteries anyway, a wish list of parts is being formed.
I figure I am going to get the 120, the msr, and the mcpx v2 (only a day or two from seeing that) all flyable and all programmed to the best of my ability, and then that way I will have a small variety a couple types and sizes to see which one will feel right for me... I want to find a class and size that will do my time and effort justice, and so far, I have found that those who are more serious are quite fond of their align tree's....
My only other requirement is whatever I get will have to serve double duty as a platform for my go pro hero camera... gonna do aerial video of my marina and beach to post on you tube. But it sure would be cool to have on board footage of some inverted flight!!!
Ok, so thoughts on the models I just recently bought- msr, 120 sr, and mcpx v2. I have a 6dxi, and limited storage space, limited space indoors, more than likely I will be night flying in a small breeze, and I want to fly a go pro camera (though stunts can and will wait for the right bird to perform with). I need something not too exotic as far as parts go, and I need to be able to macguyver somewhat in the field. The more feedback I get the more thoughts and questions I have, and the more it sounds like I might need more than one heli in order to do the things I want. The only thing so far that sucks about my blade helis is the number of easily broken and sloppy jointed plastic parts, which the after market has a good handle on.... my 100$ used cx2 is now $350 worth of aluminum, carbon fiber and goodies.
Again, thank you all for time and input, wish there were more people in my area like you. California is full of , well, let's just say that I found my LHS to be a big turn off which is why I am so appreciative of this community.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:45 PM
gi1mo2

GoPro camera with anything smaller than a 450 is going to be a problem. Have you given a quadcopter consideration? I have a Gaui 330X with a GoPro hero camera on it. I also have a new Gaui 500X with GU-INS GPS unit. More stable for filming and I can send it further and not worry about loosing orienation. I can tell it to come back.

I have posted a video of our flying field taken with my GoPro camera on my Gaui 330X at www.clubjagrc.com. French, but look for the word Video on the left margin and the video will be obvious.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Bigdaddybiscuitsplitter

I haven't really considered a quad before, at least not with what I have seen with as much as they cost. I am aware that they have excellent stability along with lifting capability. I have researched into some basic robotic building/ programming- I have a pair of Motorola ATRIX phones that I had planned on rooting in order to gain SU access. It seemed that provided I could find the right sources and software for the knowledge and programming, the phones themselves could provide a plethora of useful sensors and control over any model. Where else could one find GD video, bluetooth and wifi streaming for control and real time video, rate sensors (on all axis) , coupled with a compass, gps, and even light/ dark and temp- all for the $200 I paid for the phones? One is an insurance claim I made and the other is its replacement... a lot of potential fun to be had. I tried watching the video, from my phone of course and the website wouldn't let me view it, while I speak not a lick of french, I was able to discern that it was telling me my browser sucked and I couldn't view it ha ha... but I will check out what the quads can do...
I suppose I need to clarify on the money available as $10k is there but unrealistic given the situation. I would say that the initial price shouldn't be more than $1200 or so for the heli and at that point I would be seriously trying to fit a dx8 into that price as well. Seems that a 300 or 450 size is looking to be in the works.
Could anyone actually give a rundown of physical size in relation to class... what exactly do the numbers mean? Remedial, I know, but its hard to picture the difference in sizes
Old 04-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Bigdaddybiscuitsplitter

Oh, and I mentioned I like blade, only because the price is reasonable, the flight characteristics thus far are stable for the most part, and like my rc 10 of days gone by, I spend more time playing and less time breaking / fixing- reliability is a big deal, but with every single purchase I make as far as my form of the hobby goes, I am tearing things down and rebuilding, upgrading, and improving. I like building kits, even piecing an entire bird together is fine. I want the rc 10 of helicopters- great performance, huge aftermarket, a platform that could be reliable and competitive for quite a long time, that's the dream machine I speak of
Old 05-28-2012, 12:35 PM
lethalsassonic

I like the thread, good topic. I'm Completely self-taught but had a lot of Nitro Car experience so in a way that kind of helps for understanding concepts, and repairing. The first choppers I bought were from one of those small carts in the middle of a shopping mall, I got a Viefly 338, and a Double Horse 9118, both 3 channel bashers, but that's how I got hooked. Now I own a Blade 120sr, MCPX, MCX2, DX6i, and a Big Lama. I also practiced on the FMS Simulator. I'm now intermediate, and if I can give any advice to a beginner it's take your time and NEVER RUSH THINGS IN THIS HOBBY. When you're working on your models, take your time, do everything right, make sure you have the correct tools, and don't fly anywhere unless the conditions are 100% comfortable for you, be in the right place, right time, and avoid wind, don't be hasty! When you lack patience you break things, and you will regret it all day long. Youtube is an unbelievable tool, as are Chat Forums, chances are other enthusiasts have had the same problems as you and searching usually finds the answers. Next, I would say after watching repair videos on Youtube, don't be afraid to take your stuff apart. Personally I was so intimidated at first, but you will eventually "get" it!!! Right now I feel as though I can repair any RC chopper you put in front of me!!!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Chucksolo69

Yep, all self taught. I started with a couple of cheap Chinese 3 channel helis and a really cheap Radio Shack model. I got wise quickly. I bought a Blade CX as my first copter then a Blade mCX. I graduated to a Blade mSR and bought a Blade 120 SR soon after. I have a Blade SR that I bought some time ago but am reluctant to fly until I can hover a CCP heli on my sim well. Pretty soon though I think.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:31 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

hey bigdaddybiscuit you say your wallets are deep and you dont have a computer buy one ! get a nice laptop that way you can use it in the field if needed (if you get into flybarless) azus has nice gaming laptops but i know personally if i had the money to spend i would go alienware that way you look cool doing it lol. you can find some real good deals on people selling used birds take the tx600 fbl i picked up from here he said he had 3200 invested (paid 1150) and the parts added up and it still flies good as new (doesnt get as much use as the mcpx does) it has all quality electronics on it im not complaining at all. i also picked up a nice t500 fb for 450 i had no idea what elecs were on it when purchased but to my suprise it wasnt a let down at all ,im more afraid of the 500 than the 600 though seems like the 500 flies like a bat out of hell (to much power). the point im getting to is either im lucky or i have had honest sellers either way i didnt get shafted at all (just cuz its used doesnt means its worth any less unless the seller knows something is dying). yet the only other bird i will buy if its still avail is a brand new in box trex 700e fbl super combo at a lhs for 1000 bucks to complete the series, then im done buying (for now anyways lol).
Old 05-30-2012, 04:35 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

one more thing if you get specs on blade size like  a 450 uses 325mm blades google 325mm is how many inches and that will give you a pretty comparable idea and size chart (then size 500, 600 etc).  all you need are the specs and let google convert it happy flying

ps get a computer and sim it will help you immensly
Old 06-05-2012, 09:12 AM
formula87

Kind of in the same boat here went mcx then cx2 then 120 sr sold that got realflight 5.5 (boring) sold that got another 120 sold that and now have  flybarless msr X .........don't see many posts about that heli.  going to get a dx6i also........ was looking at a SR but decided not to. may get pheonix sim to use w/dx6i 120 sr was great though but the msr x is more of a hand full.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

Im self teaching. I got a realflight 5.5 and a mcx2 ath the same time and have had them for a while, got pretty good on sim and bought a mcpx and am finaly starting to fly it beyond just hovering.