Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Proper way to make smooth turns and figure 8s

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Proper way to make smooth turns and figure 8s

Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 PM
StoneDeaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper way to make smooth turns and figure 8s

When making turns do you use the aileons or just the rudder movement and the forward elevator control? Thanks
Old 11-08-2011, 01:51 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Proper way to make smooth turns and figure 8s

All three.

Aileron to bank the heli
Rudder to make the nose go around the circle

Forward to keep the bird flying forward
Old 11-08-2011, 01:52 PM
evdreamer

When I make a turn I start out with aileron into the turn. Then I add rudder, collective, and back elevator to pull through the turn. It is a lot like turning an airplane, but with rudder.

Nick
Old 11-08-2011, 06:24 PM
1320Fastback

We use rudder to turn planes...well some of us do!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

1320Fastback is right... we do use rudder with airplanes, however it is as different as a similar control input can possibly be. With a plane you need to use the rudder or you'll get a sloppy turn or a whacky line up on the runway. With a heli if you bugger it up you can get disoriented in a flash followed by a smoking hole.
The Major and Evdreamer gave you good advise. The back elevator also keeps the heli from jetting out of the turn and by you at 60mph...bad when you're new. However you sure don't want to let it suddenly be at a standstill , hovering nose in to you 50 feet away when you're new. Nose in hovering is a required skill, but having nose in totally mastered before being able to fly figure 8's isn't realistic.
So the Majors advise about keeping the heli flying forward is critical for your mental health.
www.rchelicopterfun.com has the single best free videos on YouTube and an 'e' book for something like the best 15 bucks you'll ever spend that covers everything you can think of with learning to fly helis.
His method of sliding the heli by me left to right or vice-versa, then putting it an oblique angle early on to your turn around point, then just flat nose first to that point, stopping, going nose out, then sliding it back and repeating had me doing figure 8's in no time,and I'm not very smart. Eventually you quit stopping and you're thinking 'holy cow, I'm doing figure 8's ![8D] Doug
Old 11-09-2011, 04:17 AM
StoneDeaf

WOw thanks for all the info Doug, I actually started watching his videos yesterday. I am on Day 2 of his flight school videos. I will probably get that book you are talking about about. I am already planning on getting his book on the MSR and 120SR.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:07 AM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

That's outstanding news. Just follow along with him.
Like many of us when I started flying planes (a LONG time ago ) I had a ton of experienced people who'd stand next to me as I learned.
In helis not so much, not at all really, so John Salts www.rchelicopterfun.com functioned as my instructor. If he can teach me anyone can learn from him !
Doug
Old 11-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi SD,

Have you looked around for a sim yet? A few suggestions are:

Realflight by Great Planes - (will need a decent computer as it can slow things down)
Phoenix by Runtime Games - (can use your DX6i on it)

Those are the top ones (hence the price), but if your looking at something more budget minded...

Esky Flight Sim - [link=http://www.xheli.com/ek2-0905a-flightsimulator.html]Link[/link]
RC Tech Flight Sim - [link=http://www.xheli.com/new6chflsico.html]Link[/link]

Whichever sim you decide on I believe you'll find it to be very useful in your learning.

Mark