Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade cx2 3-in-1 issues

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade cx2 3-in-1 issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Bigdaddybiscuitsplitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade cx2 3-in-1 issues

Bought a used heli off of a client of mine, researched and detirmined it was a blade cx2. I'm pretty new to airborn models, but not a complete idiot when it comes to geometry, electronics, etc. I make full size yachts radio control as part of my profession. Soooo, I jumped right in and started flying my blade. Figured out that gyro sensitivity, servo linkage, and blade balance were all out of whack. Corrected issues (no manual, no help, in field, no phone). Fixed issues and had a mostly controllable heli, except for the slow clockwise yaw that trim wouldn't fix. Messed with two pots on 3 in 1, and no fix. Wondered about that third little pot that wasn't supposed to be messed with ha ha. Started messing with that, and all of a sudden it seemed like I had a fix, as that third unmentioned pot affected bias between the two motors. Noticed some funny things, now wondering if I just bought myself a new 3 in 1. Anybody out there got some tech that wouldn't be in the manual? Thx
Old 12-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Bigdaddybiscuitsplitter

Default RE: Blade cx2 3-in-1 issues

Two battery packs and a lot of trial and error fixed it on the adjustments... Respond if u want full report
Old 12-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Mack66

Look under manuals and support at:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...er-EFLH1250#t6

There are .pdf files for the manual and parts there.

Hope this helps!

Mack
Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Bigdaddybiscuitsplitter

Yah, manuals always help, and while I was able to learn a thing or three, I always need more infO than is easy to find.... Thanks for the direct link to the page though
Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Bigdaddybiscuitsplitter

I did pretty well getting everything dialed in, still a very slight clockwise yaw, and still trying to get yaw speeds to match... The motors started making noise like the bushings were glazed and worn, so new ball bearing motors on the way, lol, so maybe I have been trying to compensate worn and maybe mismatched motor performance with the 3 in 1. I feel like I'm dealing with basic issues, and maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. I'm gonna email tech support with a list of questions, and hopefully I learn something of use. Soooo, I'm still on the hunt for some tech talk that goes beyond the manual. Doesn't anybody reverse engineer their stuff? Or is it more fun to spend and swap parts until it's fixed....
Old 12-18-2011, 05:11 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

The blade 3N1's, if gone bad, will give you no throttle response usually. They are pretty tough and you'll usually find a burned spot and/or smell of burning circuits...that will tell you definitely its toast.

The pots on the board (as you found out) are for gyro sensitivity (tail control) and motor mixing (upper and lower goes faster or slower). The CX2's came out back in 2007 so there is quite a bit of info for mods and such on this forum, just do a search and you'll find lots. I think I did the boom mod which is basically a carbon fiber rod for the tail which replaces the toy-looking red tail. Makes it look a bit cooler looking. [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/BoomTownHobbies_Model_3_Boom_Kit_p/bth001.htm]Link[/link]

Also, do a search for blade clap...once you get more comfortable and take it outside you can get it in fast forward flight (FFF) and if you give too much elevator and/or aerilon input the bottom blades can impact the top blades and...clap...falling/crashing heli. Not a fun experience...this can take out the 3n1 board depending on how high and if it hits nose first on concrete.

Other than that welcome to the world of heli's.

Got one last link for you...lots of CX only information there: [link=http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?s=682342d6717da36883f5842a9704d8f e&f=119]CX[/link]

Hope this helps,

Mark
Old 12-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Bigdaddybiscuitsplitter

I gotta get some pix up. It came with the tail boom, i rigged up some running lights; left= red, green= right (port and starboard) with a white tail light, standard as what i'm used to seeing around the harbor i live in- living on a boat makes space difficult, and days are either blowing onshore or offshore- today was gusts of 60 or 70 knots!!! The only real time to fly is either the few minutes when the wind is changing direction, or usually night or early morning which explains the need to see which way it's pointing.... so, got some new parts, an extended top rotor head and a 6" long flybar which makes it all but impossible to have any mid air blade strikes, however, stability is an issue, but screw it, a little bit of instability should keep me on my toes. Learned real quick that what makes these coaxials so stable, also really hampers any usable agility. It's somewhat difficult to halt any speed gained and i have had a couple of 20-30 mph crashes. Everyone oooo's and aaaaaahhhs' when rotor blades grenade themselves. Still having issues with a very very slight clockwise drift, i cant adjust the motor balance pot any more than it is, because the next smallest touch throws it all the way to the other end of the scale. Emailed tech support, they arent giving me any more info other than what is already in the manual. Oh, almost forgot, installed new xtreem 180 ball bearing/brushed motors, waaaaaaaay stronger magnets and they definitely seem to help with performance- not as much throttle input to maintain and climb as before... i need to find some well lit open spaces nearby, flying in a parking lot and matching the speed of cars driving down the road (limit is 45mph), u lose sight way to easy, and with the shorter flybar, abrupt cyclic changes can actually put the bird into an unrecoverable attitude/angle... gonna fool around some more, might cut down the upper blades slightly since those are the ccw spinning blades creating the cw drift.