Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade mQX Toyish look to Killer UFO look!!!

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
I prefer the stock mQX look
21.43%
I like the MIA Killer Phantom (TM) Look
42.86%
I don't care for Quads.
21.43%
I Like the MIA Edge(TM) Cool Colors Look
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Blade mQX Toyish look to Killer UFO look!!!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:33 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade mQX Toyish look to Killer UFO look!!!

Blade mQX - MIA Phantom(TM) and Edge(TM) Upgrades
Blade mQX Canopies, Blade mQX Bodies, Blade mQX Shells, Blade mQX Upgrades, Blade mQX Mods.

Intro: About a month ago, I stumbled upon the Blade mQX, a cool new quad rotor product. Bought it and have been having a ball! with it.

First Impression: It is pretty stable compared to some early, much larger ones I flew back in the early 90's, which at the time were just beginning to surface at a much higher price tag.
Wow we are so spoiled with todays affordable and powerful tiny RC equipment that makes it possible for a lot of cool flying models.

A deeper Look: After trying the Blade mQX, the stock canopy was a bit distracting, toyish looking and it was not really doing the overall product justice.
I think the logic the original designers had was probably to make it look like a "Transformer" but in my opinion and perhaps that of others,
it fails to stay in line with the overall look of the rest of the flying aircraft and more serious electronics, it could have been done a lot better, I thought.

MIA Options: So here are 2 of several designs I came up , which are more in tune with a more stealth, serious and fun cool look. I will be offering these via my site MIA Micro-FLIGHT this month.

Other designs in various shapes and forms, both in the already well established MIA Phantom (TM) Carbon pattern and MIA Edge(TM) colors canopies will be offered,thereafter, still working on few others and we'll be adding also other goodies to the MIA UPgrades -Blade mQX section in our web site.

WHY? Because I just gotta!

I love having the options to play with different setus and looks as this helps prolong the interest level in this model and I think this is a great compact platform for a lot of cool stuff. More surprises from MIA Micro-FLIGHT coming!

Helis vs Quads: Although I am more pro the more conventional RC helicopter, these "quad" rotor helis and in particular, the Blade mQX, offers yet another level of fun. A great platform for adding a keychain camera under the bellie and just having fun around the house, backyard or small park.

Check it out! Original Blade mQX and MIA Options.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiudEI_B9ZM[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79973.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1722549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31157.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1722550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22541.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1722551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21773.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1722552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57033.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1722553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88778.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1722554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66076.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1722555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60694.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1722556  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74795.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	1722557  
Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Bigdaddybiscuitsplitter

Default RE: Blade mQX Toyish look to Killer UFO look!!!

I have drooled over the other MIA products, and as far as the look of the stock quad goes, definitely transforwannaber. So the new styling is an improvement. Seems to me that it wouldn't be that hard to vacuform a shell that gave modelers a flying semi scale version of something we don't have yet... hmmmm, 4 rotors, no tail boom- why not look into the past failed Lockheed Martin projects for starters, as in Aerocar- the four rotors would fit into a round airframe, and given the lift capabilities, weight and balance issues are easily solved. Lots of other stuff out there too for ideas, movies, tv shows, etc. How does one judge the aesthetics of a model when by the very nature of the word "model" our hobby tends to reflect something already in existence??? I see an untapped market segment here.... try Millennium Falcon, USS Enterprise, lol even those nifty flying saucers from Batteries Not Included.
...,............ just an honest opinion from a long time modeler who thinks the quad rotor stuff could have more appeal.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:21 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

ORIGINAL: Bigdaddybiscuitsplitter

I have drooled over the other MIA products, and as far as the look of the stock quad goes, definitely transforwannaber. So the new styling is an improvement. Seems to me that it wouldn't be that hard to vacuform a shell that gave modelers a flying semi scale version of something we don't have yet... hmmmm, 4 rotors, no tail boom- why not look into the past failed Lockheed Martin projects for starters, as in Aerocar- the four rotors would fit into a round airframe, and given the lift capabilities, weight and balance issues are easily solved. Lots of other stuff out there too for ideas, movies, tv shows, etc. How does one judge the aesthetics of a model when by the very nature of the word ''model'' our hobby tends to reflect something already in existence??? I see an untapped market segment here.... try Millennium Falcon, USS Enterprise, lol even those nifty flying saucers from Batteries Not Included.
...,............ just an honest opinion from a long time modeler who thinks the quad rotor stuff could have more appeal.
Blade mQX - MIA Aerocar

Hi Big,
I am in total agreement with all you said. The Aerocar is on top of my list, for the same reasons you have pointed out.

Several years ago, before any of the quad revolution took off there was a toy saucer fully enclosed in a foam ring.
I did a full thread write up on of that in another forum.
Unfortunately the toy was tethered and did not have the piezo gyro accelerometers that some of the recent modern model saucer control electronics have.
But it was a start in the right direction I thought. Not that toy saucers have not been done even before these semi stable electric prop toys.

The aerocar has been one of my favorites since I stumbled upon it in an old magazine when I was much younger andit is one
that I am actually working on for the Blade mQX, jus goes to show, that people with a similar interest think in similar ways.
The aerocar has actually inspired some of the modern day RC models and toys saucers, I think.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

A new video showing various MIA Phantom-Edge-TUFF (TM) Upgrade options for the Blade mQX.
A good example of the MIA TUFF LG Spider legs application to Blade mQX.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLtQo4Jsmqg[/youtube]
Old 02-12-2012, 08:28 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

In flight photos...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57119.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	1726316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76829.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1726317  
Old 02-13-2012, 12:29 AM
PalmSizeHeliMan

Video Part 1 of 2
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxHm5k9sCGo[/youtube]
Old 02-13-2012, 05:10 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

Video Part 2of2
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DQlXgS5zmM[/youtube]
Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

These need to hurry up and be available for purchase!!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM
kodak_jack

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mario, the UFO style canopy is nice. I think blue, my favorite, will look great, BUT, you might include a strip of contrasting color tape for orientation purposes. If I got a blue canopy, I think a red strip, maybe of reflective tape, might work well. I also think the landing skids are an essential part as the pods do not protect the motors very well. YOU need to work on a heat sink of some kind because owners, of which I am not YET[], are going through motors faster than they change socks.