Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

HELP !!!!!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Bob_Dewater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP !!!!!

Ok fellas, here it is.............................in all the yrs i been flyn helis, well hovering, i did some fwd flight, prob is this.........................im still in fixed wing mode in my head,
how can i get ahold of heli flight and control ?
the issues involved....going sideways, tail moved etc.........ideas ???
Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 PM
gi1mo2

Default RE: HELP !!!!!

Brain training. It's all about repetitive movements. Simulators are good for this. Young people learn quicker than older folks like me. But I did, and am able to fly helis. Some 3d, but that is still a big rush, and it gets my hearth racing.

I still prefer crashing on a simulator than with a real heli. I will never get over that one
Old 03-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Bob_Dewater

I ain to kid lol almost 47 hehehehee
old dawg.................new trick ??? ya sure lol
Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Bob_Dewater

prob is, flight sim only accurate if u setup , trim, and all that is perfect, sim, i can hover hands free

Old 03-27-2012, 06:10 PM
gi1mo2

So learning to setup a heli properly is also very important. It should almost fly hands free. Some flight simulators are not as realistic as others. I have ClearView (entry level - not that accurate), RealFlight 4.5 - good, Phoenix - better.

I would be your much older brother :-)
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Bob_Dewater

old guyz heheeheh

Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Bob_Dewater

sooooo, ya.........been havin a lil trouble getting beyond hovering, any wise words ??
Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 AM
evdreamer

First thing to do before forward flight is to master all the hovering orientations. If you can do that without thinking for each orientation then try doing a slow piro in both directions. If you can do that without crashing circuits will be much easier. I only did those for my first year of flying and everything came together very quickly afterwards. I started by moving the heli off to my right and then did a part of a piro with the nose facing to the left. Then I did a slow forward flight. Stopped when the heli was to the left. Did another piro with the nose facing to the right. Then went forward again. Once you can do that you can do the turn without stopping and that will turn into a figure eight. When I turn I first add aileron to bank the heli into the turn. Then I add a small amount of back elevator to help pull the heli through the turn. I also give a small amount of rudder so the nose turns into the turn. Once you can do that you can do circles. Try doing figure eights and circles in both directions. When you can do that you can start all over by doing it backwards. When you master all hovering orientations you can bail out of anything without crashing. To learn inverted you can do these steps and it will also help out.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Bob_Dewater

Ok, but part of the prob is, when i try to rotate the tail around, ( 360 deg ) it (I) get wobbly and usually a loss of altitude.............confused and disoriented maybe ??
Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Bigdaddybiscuitsplitter

Take off the spring on your rudder stick- that's what was screwing me up, the spring tension against my thumb had me inadvertently changing throttle/ collective. Makes that muscle memory thing a whole lot easier. You just gotta make really good friends with your left thumb