Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade CP main shafts junk brand new?

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade CP main shafts junk brand new?

Old 05-04-2006, 07:45 PM
grosporina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade CP main shafts junk brand new?

I've been flying my Blade CP since last fall but just last week had a hefty crash and thought it would be an good excuse to put in a new main shaft, the bell mixer upgrade, and a couple other new parts I had ready, but right from brand spanking new the main shaft has a whole lot of play in it. I can grab the main shaft and turn the rotor head against it a good 5 degrees at least. I know that can be a sign of a worn pin hole in the main shaft (and reason for replacement of the main shaft), but for a brand new shaft? (and pin)
Has anyone else had experience with a main shaft being so badly worn straight out of the packaging?
I used a brand new pin, but I'm starting to wonder whether there's two sizes of pin, I didn't think so though.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:06 PM
LetsGoFlyHi

Default RE: Blade CP main shafts junk brand new?

My BCP also has this play you are describing. I have not investigated exactly what the culprit is but I think it's mainly due to the center hub. Whenever you insert the pin it's easy to bend it and could elongate out the hole in the hub. Also, when removing the main shaft I've always had to file the old shaft around that hole to get it through the swash plate which would open the edge of the hole making it larger. Old pins could certainly cause it too.
My guess is if you've tried the pin and shaft the only thing left is the head! If it bothers you or if it's causing problems I'd give the head a shot or call eflite. I've dealt with them before and usually they've been quite helpful. I haven't worried about it because mine seems to fly just fine with the play-

The only problems I've experienced with new shafts is the gear is often out of center / round.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:27 AM
grosporina

Thanks. I don't _think_ it's the centre hub, just because when I can see the play I can tell that the whole head's moving along with the pin but the shaft is not, so the pin's moving in the shaft, not in the hub. I had the same problem as you getting the old shaft out, I had to dremel it down to fit through the main shaft bearings and the swashplate bearing, but I haven't done a thing to the new shaft in that respect so it should be ok from that point of view.
Just in case it is the head/hub I'll take an old spare and try it out, though like I said all indications are the pin is moving relative to the shaft, not the head.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:24 PM
LetsGoFlyHi

Hmm... Good point. It could be the hole.

I don't have a new pin but I do have a new shaft in the bag. I put it over the end of the pin that was sticking out from the hub and it does look like the hole is larger by a fair amount. If they've changed anything recently I couldn't tell ya.
Like I said before I'm not too worried with mine. That play should nill with the motor turning against the drag of the blades so I wouldn't expect it to cause any problems in reasonable flight. If you push it in loops and rolls or BL powered you might see some effect, but I haven't yet with what I've done with it. I just got a R50 anyway so my attention has been quite diverted recently...
I'm no expert here anyway. Maybe someone who's done more looking into this issue could chime in here?
Old 05-05-2006, 05:38 PM
grosporina

Honestly, I was of the same opinion as you, but I've had a few problems with it yo-yoing and on another site I saw that one of the likely causes if play in the main shaft, so I wanted to check into it. Definitely I would expect that while in right-side-up flight the aerodynamic torque should keep the whole assembly behaving but others think otherwise.
I'm on my second airframe, so I checked vs. my old airframe and that's definitely got less play in the main shaft, and I'm positive before I replaced the shaft on this one it had less play. I'll still see what I can do about it, a friend of mine suggested I just fill the hold with epoxy, then drill out a small enough hole for the pin and assemble it like that, which ultimately I might try.
All the same, she still flys and responds fairly well to cyclic and collective commands so as long as I'm not grounded I'm happy.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:52 PM
yardboy419

Every main shaft I've ever bought has been slightly bent or the gear is not true. I check them as best as I can before leaving the store from now on.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Crash Bandicoot

I have run into this problem as well. Does anyone manufacture an aluminum one yet? Would an aluminum one be too heavy?
Old 05-20-2006, 04:12 PM
AJ DRAGON

Hi

Replace the Blade CP main shaft and gear with the HB CP2 main shaft and gear.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:41 AM
BladeWrecker

Pins fit loose in a brand new stock BCP main gear shaft. They fit tight in the center hub. That leaves the center hub (holding the pin), to rock back and forth on the main shaft hole. That occurs from normal use, let alone what blade strikes do.

Try this...take a brand new BCP main shaft gear. Insert a brand new pin in the hole. What happens?

Answer...the pin just falls completely out. This is why you get the egg shape, and makes disassembly difficult.

I'm going to try the HB CP2 main shaft and gear.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:12 AM
DVI

I know this is not the answer, but I have had many new main shafts and yes the hole is too large for the pin. I just slightly bent the new pin and insert it into the new main shaft so that it fits snug and will not come out. To date the I have never had the pin to come out.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:56 AM
BladeWrecker

The main shafts are indeed crappy, and lacking in the quality control department. I'll give the pin bending trick a try. It's only a temporary solution.

I just learned to get my hover and don't have the blade strikes I used to, so I would like to get rid of the head slop. The biggest problem I have is the yo-yo thing, and the wind.

I've never had a pin come. I put a drop of CA on it to hold it. I insert the pin about 3/4's of the way in, put a drop on the pin and push it in evenly. To remove... just give a slight twist and pull.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:52 PM
grosporina

It was the play that had me worried, not so much the threat of the pin coming out, so I think I'll try the bent pin idea too.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Why not just use a bigger pin?

I had the same issue, so what I did was get one of those large paperclips(with a diameter that matches the hole in the shaft, not the head), and cut several new "pins".
To install, I held the new pin with needle nose pliers, and heated it with a lighter for a few seconds, then pushed it in through the aligned holes in the head and shaft. The heated pin slightly melts the plastic around the hole for a tight fit(makes the hole in the plastic the same size as the pin). No more slop.

It does eventually wear the pin out, but leaves the hole the same size. Paper clips are cheap, just make a bunch all at the same time for spares.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:57 PM
BladeWrecker

Trouble was... finding something that was the right size. I got some giant paper clips somewhere. I'll dig'em up. Thanks for the tip[8D]