Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Dual tail motor mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 02:37 AM
ElDusto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual tail motor mod

Hi I have just purchaced Dual tail motor mod for my HB CP2, I am unsure where to start with wiring this beast up also adjusting the 4 in 1 to suit. Can someone please help me in seting this up.

Thanks in advance

Dustin
Old 07-10-2006, 10:13 AM
bpd282

Default RE: Dual tail motor mod

To wire the dual tail mod is easy.

Hopefully you have two new tail motors to start with. If you look closely on the black endcap of the tail motor, you will see the + end marked. Solder the positive wire to this (red). Then attach another small wire to this solder joint and run it to the positive side of second motor and solder. Repeat for the negative wire.

I checked to see if both motors were getting juice by giving it just enough power to slightly get the tail motors moving. I had the gear and prop off to make sure both engaged.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:08 PM
drenalinejunki92

make sure one wire goes to one motor and the other wire to the second motor. then put a wire to the two remaining terminals on the motors
the motors are not to be wired in parallel. this will result in a fire on you 4 in 1 as mine has been sadly taken due to this .
Old 07-11-2006, 03:11 AM
Truglodite

i know the motors run cooler, but serial motors kills redundancy and doubles the chance of failure. say my buddy and i are at the park trimming our helis at the start of the day. he flies a twin motor tail while i fly single motor. each of us arrived with 1 reliable motor and 1 lemon each. my buddies heli is waiting to piro out in a few minutes, while i have only a 50/50 chance of either sharing his fate or having a good day.

i didn't think a 4n1 would blow with parallel twin tail motors.[sm=surprised.gif]
guess i'll stick with my direct drive.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:01 AM
ElDusto

Thanks guys, wired up parrallel, no probs
Old 07-11-2006, 09:52 PM
jstang50

which way you wiring this thing, Parallel or series...
Old 07-11-2006, 10:04 PM
ride1226

could sum1 show a diagram or close up picture of a working dual tail mod hooked up...thanks...i just think there is a little confusion here...
Old 07-11-2006, 11:31 PM
cmassa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For parallel connections leave the first motor hooked up like the stock setup - red wire to positive and black wire to negative. For the second motor use two jumper wires, positive to positive and negative to negative from the first motor.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78163.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	490350  
Old 07-12-2006, 01:15 PM
ride1226

exactly what i was looking for...thank you very much
Old 07-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Enticer

How should they be wired? Parallel or Series?

Thanks, Kevin.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:31 PM
cmassa

Mine are in parallel. This has the benefit of sharing the load (voltage, current) evenly over both motors. The motors stay cooler and last longer. Also, If one goes out, the other will keep the tail rotor turning (a little slower though) so it doesn't spin out of control. When in series, if one motor dies they both stop. Also, both motors get full voltage and no protection is gained.

Chris
Old 07-13-2006, 03:27 PM
drenalinejunki92

hey
ok ive read this post many times over. i understand that parrallel is the way to go but i caint get over the fact that when i wired it up that what i blew my 4 in 1. a new one is ont he way but i jsut dont trust it. I read some were else that to protect myself that i should put a 3 amp fuse. i plan on going lower to just have a better protection and if it blows right away go back to the 3 amp. any one have any other ideas to help protect the 4 in1 could one of my brand new motors be faulty. thanks for you help guys.
-paul
Old 07-13-2006, 06:36 PM
drenalinejunki92

ok after reading the posts again tried to figure out nething i could. i went to test the motors to see if there were ne problems then i relized that the aluminum was also conducting electrictiy could this be a problem or a reason for my 4 in 1 to blow???
Old 07-13-2006, 11:42 PM
cmassa

ORIGINAL: drenalinejunki92

ok after reading the posts again tried to figure out nething i could. i went to test the motors to see if there were ne problems then i relized that the aluminum was also conducting electrictiy could this be a problem or a reason for my 4 in 1 to blow???
That should only be an issue if you made a mistake and connected a positive wire to a negative motor terminal which is connected to the case. I suppose with the dual motor mod using an aluminum bracket you could technically just connect the positive terminals and leave the negative to conduct through the aluminum bracket. Using a wire is probably more reliable though.

Chris
Old 07-20-2006, 11:27 AM
zenchal26

there is a small wire going from neg to the motor case does this need to be there
Old 07-21-2006, 03:08 AM
ct420

ORIGINAL: zenchal26

there is a small wire going from neg to the motor case does this need to be there

Yes! It is supposed to be that way. In fact, that little wire is probably why the aluminum bracket conducts negative. The can is screwed to the bracket, and that little wire from the capacitor on the motor is soldered to the can.