Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

BCP Tail Rotation Problems

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

BCP Tail Rotation Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 07:57 PM
mcomet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCP Tail Rotation Problems

Ok if you saw my other post all is not so well i guess....

Here is what I am seeing... main rotor cyclic control is fine, seems to work ok.
Tail rotor control works but every now and then i am seeing the heli do something odd like turn a quarter turn left, or later right etc.... trying to keep the nose straight for any length of time seems impossible.

I put in a battery today after my flights that i thought was near dead... disconnected the motors and check the outputs of the 4in1 with my multimeter. The main motor was showing 0 to 10 volts as i'd expect when i bring up throttle. The tail was also showing decent numbers bring it up and then left to right. I plugged the tail motor in and use the multimeter directly on the motor contacts...again it seemed and worked normally... 0 volts to make 2 volts with full right stick at mid throttle.

Any ideas? Is this maybe some sort of odd interference? Do I have a bad motor? Bad 4in1 or gyro? I'm pretty sure I tweaked the gyro right, the prop'l seems decent enough at least for the moments the thing is working... I lower the gain, I've seen real tail twitch when it was up too high, I don't think this is twitch like that from gain. Anything I can do to try to track this down? I can hover for a bit but the sporadic tail makes me think something is wrong. I'm flying in a lot by as school, don't think there are power lines too close but not sure. I'm tempted to try elsewhere in case it's interference...
Old 10-23-2006, 12:27 PM
cjohle

Default RE: BCP Tail Rotation Problems

I have the very same issue with my new HoneyBee CP2. I don't know where to begin checking to fix the issue. It will do fine for a few seconds, the POW the tail will shift left or right a 3-5 inches. Makes it impossible for a newbie like myself to keep my orientation straight!
Old 10-23-2006, 01:33 PM
jent

Are you getting a lot of vibration in the tail? I have had this problem before due to an unbalanced tail blade....if you knicked the blade on the ground and unbalanced it it can cause a lot of vibration. If this vibration occurs ic can cause some very strange things to happen like no tail power untill you rev the tail really hard and then have all the power in at once....or if it is really bad you may never even reach that and find that you really don't have much tail power. It is also possible that your tail motor is failing and as it heats up it becomes very weak.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:13 PM
mcomet

Interesting...

yeah it is nicked a little...so teh edge is a little rought...but not so much as to think it would be bad.... I will have to try a different/new one... i am thinking that, then the motor will have to be replaced to really see in that order... time to buy a soldering iron...heh.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:17 PM
cjohle

I have no tail vibration (or at least very little) in the HoneyBee.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:16 AM
zenchal26

Don’t over look the obvious. Are your pots and gain set correctly? These things take a little time to get the 4n1 set up to stop the tail wag. Keep in mind though the tail will never hold like a hh gyro
Old 10-24-2006, 09:20 AM
cjohle

Well, I've just about decided that I'm going to put the DX6 receiver on it and then re-balance EVERYTHING. This is something I should have done in the first place, but when I bought it I took RTF literally. After some reading I found out this was a mistake! Thanks for the help!
Old 10-24-2006, 09:33 AM
mcomet

I definitely have the 4in1 set up right. I had tail wag and turned it down quite a bit, I don't think it's that. and the propl is set pretty good it starts up pretty stable.... I have a friend at work into heli's so I'm hoping to take it by him today... He told me to check out the entire tail assembly with a close eye which I did but it seems pretty good.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:35 AM
zenchal26

Check that your tail rotor is secure, Also I had similar problem with mine one of my tail motors was bad replaced both motors and it went away. Check all wiring to make sure theirs no loose connections. Maybe something’s wrong with the wires inside the boom.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:47 AM
mcomet

I checked the voltage to the motor with my multi meter and it seemed decent....
I only have 1 tail rotor on the BCP.... heh... but it may be bad...
Old 10-24-2006, 10:50 AM
OmegaVTX

Just a long shot but as I found out last night the blades can pop off the "flywheel" and will not spin as fast as it should. You may want to check that.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:36 PM
AntWar

I have a feeling your gyro in the 4-1 is at fault if you can try a swap it will
atleast rule out this fault but i had the same thing on an old walkera 22d.

AntWar
Old 10-26-2006, 10:00 AM
mcomet

Ok so here is progress so far....

Looks like my tail rotor is actually fine... so it may have been interference or just lack of skill on my part of hovering or maybe wind...heh.

I had an experience rc heli pilot take a look. He said my propl and gain need to be tweaked slightly but the tail is fine.

However, we did find some stuff with the main rotor shaft and servos/pitch. Actually I had been aware of it and talkted to him a bit. But basically here's the problem I have now. First my swash wasn't perfectly level which is improved now, and my blades were not at 0 when at 0 due to....

For some reason I only get +5 degree throw. What I mean is, I set up the blades using the top two linkages to get a 0 degree pitch. When I go full throttle (without the motors plugged in of course) the swash moves and the blades go to +5 pitch. I have heavier plasti blades now and really need the +10...right now the heli starts to lift only near fill throttle.

When I adjust the cyclic controls for L/R/For/Back I can see the servos are capable of a lot more movement...

So why am I only getting a 5 degree change in pitch? I assume I need to adjust the arms on the servo to swash linkages to be longer maybe? Am I right?

Is there any way to adjust the servo throw from this factory transmitter etc? This is a stock BCP.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:08 AM
sox101

was it in idle up when you set the pitch to 0?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:15 AM
mcomet

No this last time...was the first time... regardless the 0 pitch seems to match I think...have to check... isn't full throttle down, idle up OFF mean 0 pitch... and then full would be 10.

In idle up mode...half throttle should be 0 pitch with pos throttle +10 and neg -10 right? At least that's what the docs say... I do understand how this is supposed to work... it's just not moving the servos enough it seems...

or my swash is at the wrong height?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:23 AM
mcomet

I just checked... in idle up it is also 0 when at mid throttle. Pos throttle is also +5 and negative throttle is then -10 or possibly more... i can hear the servo in -10 trying to push or do something...so perhaps this means the swash linkages are wrong or such? Still seems odd to me....
Old 10-26-2006, 10:55 AM
HeliTB

You might want to check that your servo arms are at 90 degrees when throttle is all the way down, if not you won't get the full throw on both sides of the servo.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:25 PM
mcomet

They are as much as possible...the arms are at 90... the left servo is slighjly off...i took off the arm in an attempt to line it up better but it seems the pegs on the arm are not that detailed to allow for such a minute change...

It just seems odd to me...