Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade CX-2

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:37 PM
bzyguy01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blade CX-2

tinchoa,
I really don't have a heat problem with mine. I never have on the 2 cell powered CX models. Maybee the heat issues are more directed at the 3 cell powered CP models? The CX runs off of a 2 cell 7.4 Volt Lipo and the CX is on a 3 cell 11.1 Volt lipo.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:29 PM
CCbusa05

tinchoa,

Most of us have ventilated our CXs by cutting holes in the top of the canopy and in the 4in1 case to help prevent the gyro from over heating which caused the tail to constantly drift. I'm happy to say that my new CX2 doesn't exhibit that problem so I don't think I'll have to be getting the drill out anytime soon. This NEW Efite CX2 heli, IMO, is truly RTF straight out of the box! There is a mod to the servo linkage arm that you can do later on when you feel more comfortable with flying inorder to get a bit more responsiveness, but it's a minor issue and really not necessary.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Swanky Pants

tinchoa,

I don't know about bzyguy, but I have a heat problem with mine (as most people do). If after a good 10-15 minute run, your motors are hot, then you have a heat problem. Heat is wasted energy, energy that you need to fly. Remove the heat, you save energy. You save energy, you fly longer. Capice? Capice.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:07 PM
tinchao

Just check with LHS again, they said the CX2 may comes in tomorrow!!! Already place my order, looking forward to a fun weekend. I test fly the CX on the computer FS a the LHS, able to get it off the ground, I think I may be able to manage this CX2. Aloha
Old 11-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Zephyros

ORIGINAL: tinchao
I also read about heat problem?? Any advise on what I need to do to take care of this? I also read that people take off the back side of the heli to release the heat, drill holes, etc. Is it for the CX or CX2 of for higher end model?
Thanks
Here is the simple heat fix for the CX and CX2, just add the heat sink and thermal grease per the owners manual:
http://www.myrcsupply.net/index.php?...oducts_id=4525
http://www.myrcsupply.net/index.php?...oducts_id=4526
Old 12-01-2006, 01:29 AM
bzyguy01

GUYS.....GUYS.....GUYS!
Here.............Do a test. I did one for everyone.

First I ran my CX2 for 3 minutes static at full throttle with my eflite power meter......RESULTS:

WITH CANOPY ON: 5.9 amps WOT max, 41.2 watts @ WOT max, and pulled 89 mah out of the battery per minute using a total of 267 mah in 3 minutes. The max temp the motors reached was 118 degrees farenheit.

WITH NO CANOPY AT ALL: EXACT SAME READINGS IN 3 full minutes, The max temp the motors reached was 117 Degrees farenheit.

The only difference in the test was 1 degree difference between canopy on or completely removed??? The battery got hotter than the motors! 119 Deg Farenheit.
WHERE are the gains? Same temp...same power draw....same run time? Hmmm......I wouldn't wast a penny on mods to this ship besides the upgraded aluminum inner blade mount.

Sorry guys. I can't say that I agree with your heat issues.
NOTE: I am a certafied technician and certafied in electrical and I used digital measuring tools and 2 different infrared lazer temp guns to make theese statements about my tests. OH YEAH, the temp in my garage during this test is 74 degrees farenheit.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:43 AM
tinchao

bzyguy01
Great stuff! Do a real life measurement of the heat, no guess work! Thanks for the input! My LHS just call this evening, the bird is in! I will go down tomorrow to pick up my first even 4 ch heli. Should I pick up the Alum inner blade mount at the same time, may be some blade? A training gear??
Old 12-01-2006, 01:55 AM
bzyguy01

Yeah, I would go ahead and get a spare set of blades and the aluminum blade mount as the plastic one breaks with the slightest ding. The trainer is a good idea if you want but it will be easy enough without.
My opinion on learning this chopper would be to power the bird up just before it will take off but get the chopper light and hold it there and use the right stick to move the swash plate and see how the chopper reacts to what youre doing with the controls. this will help you so that you know what to do in the air. Keep the tail to you for the first 10+ flights until you get more comfortable and keep the chopper low to the ground as it will not recover from a full chop of the throttle. Theese choppers are very easy and somewhat under powered and this is why they are great trainers. You will soon grow out of this and want a collective pitch if you find it to be easy and fun. I wish you luck and remember....This is supposed to be fun so don't get mad....just laugh and smile if it crashes. You'll fix it.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Zephyros

ORIGINAL: bzyguy01
Yeah, I would go ahead and get the aluminum blade mount as the plastic one breaks with the slightest ding.
I wondered about this myself and found this comment:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=51
Has anyone else noticed that the inner head has a reinforced collar now? It used to be that the plastic section attached to the shaft was the same width all the way to the "ball" area where the flybar attaches. Now it's thicker above the blade attachment point. The upper bearing holder also appears to have a longer sleeve. Who says they're not paying attention at E-flite?
Perhaps the upper inner shaft will take some abuse now, I'm going to fly mine before investing in the aluminum part and see how long the original will last. If you note the original part number has changed, indicating a redesign.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Swanky Pants

Good job on the thorough test, bzyguy!

I'm not trying to come off as the devil's advocate, but I do have a couple of questions. Because you're certified to take these readings, I trust you'll have the answers.

First off, did you test the motors/battery on the bench? If so, did you practice any real life manuvers with the throttle and the steering? Or did you just sit on a bench, run WOT and wait?

My theory (albeit unfounded) is that the fluctuation the motors experience in normal flight is what causes more heat. While your tests are conclusive litmus tests, what about real world? And that's where I think E-Flight's expertise come in. If they build it, you need it.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:06 AM
bzyguy01

Zephyros,
The inner shaft is just as week as the old one, I personally already broke mine flying like an IDIOT in my office as it toppled over due to my poor landing atop numerous obstacles ...HE HE
I was in the shop and asked them about a new redesigned shaft?? They said the part was the same.....So I assume it was...I have an old one at the house still in the box for my old CX and I will compare it to the new one that broke when I get home, but it looked axactly the same to me from my memory.....Then again I am getting older!! LOL

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I only broke one in the original CX the whole time I owned it and broke the new CX2 shaft in the first 8 flights.....I'm an idiot pilot with mine....But thats why I oun it. Great fun.

Note. I have experience in Choppers for quite a few years now and I use to fly 30 and 60 sized Collective pitch models in 3d and forward flight. So this CX2 is great for me to tinker with in the garage inbetween building new aircraft. Just to let everyone know I'm experienced and STILL LOVE this little CX2 and the CX for that matter. I was never on top of my game with the big choppers tho. I flew them but also crashed em just the same. <----------Not a pro Heli pilot! Just experienced.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:22 AM
kurtmeyer
Banned

ANYBODY GOT PICS OF THEIR CX-2?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:46 AM
bzyguy01

Hey Swanky,
I appreciate your questions and her is what I have found, and No I am not a rocket scientist @ NASA but..............

I tested 1 of 4 batteries (all Eflite 800 2 cell's) and it pulled the claimed 800 mah fine befor going under 6 volts total= No less than 3 volts per cell is allowed.

So ...Knowing that the battery was good for the test...This one is the one I used.
Yes I just strapped it to my bench and ran it WOT. which is actually running each motor @ 95% of its Duty.not doing any maneuvers. If you hold the chopper in your hand and WOT the throttle and trist the bird in either direction it slows one motor and speeds the other motor to max100% duty which gains alittle more rpm to keep the elevation as the other prop slown...All this is done by the gyro trying to compensate for the twist and keep it straight..... "IN REAL LIFE" it does the same thing when you move the tail with the stick but on a much smaller scale as the gyro is not trying to fight the twist and is allowing it now. The 2 servos only pulled .1 - .2 amps at full function so this didn't amount to much. Besides the motors actually are pulling more amps under my bench test @ WOT than they do during flight. So actually they create less heat during normal " REAL WORLD " flight.

I agree that Eflite is GREAT! I love most all of their products. and nobody does near the R&D that the manufacture does. I agree with you. But lets remember one thing....Eflite is a company in business to do one thing....Make money. Thats what its all about and if they couldn't sell you parts and "UPGRADES" They would not bring near the same revenue as the parts market has a greater profit margin. They don't get rich by selling their RTF's...They make it in the upgrades and parts section. Trust me...It's how it is in the "REAL WORLD" I own 3 businesses currently and every one is open to make money.
So the upgrades are nice and all but the big picture is they are not absolutely necessary or "YOU NEED IT"....NO...I dont think so.

You sais it yourself....Eflite's expertise are most definitally right on and if the CX2 had a "heat problem" they would have fixed it....RIGHT???
ORIGINAL: Swanky Pants

Good job on the thorough test, bzyguy!

I'm not trying to come off as the devil's advocate, but I do have a couple of questions. Because you're certified to take these readings, I trust you'll have the answers.

First off, did you test the motors/battery on the bench? If so, did you practice any real life manuvers with the throttle and the steering? Or did you just sit on a bench, run WOT and wait?

My theory (albeit unfounded) is that the fluctuation the motors experience in normal flight is what causes more heat. While your tests are conclusive litmus tests, what about real world? And that's where I think E-Flight's expertise come in. If they build it, you need it.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:49 AM
bzyguy01

Here's a pic of a CX2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73342.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	569924  
Old 12-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Swanky Pants

See? I knew you'd be able to answer my question bzyguy. So bench testing will give the same results as flying it around in your garage. If the motors are the same temprature with or without the canopy, what kind of temperatures do the motors get with the heat sink on?

As I agree with you, E-Flight is a profit making business. They don't call the add-on's "bling bling" for nothing.

So the bottom line is, you've proven that these mods that people do (cutting holes in canopies, etc) are just snake oil. Unless there's something that will make your Blade fly for 30 minutes instead of 15, then it's just bling.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Jellyson

Congrats on the bench test data. I'd like to see the same kind of thing done with the old CX.

At this point, my goal is to wake up every day...
Old 12-01-2006, 12:41 PM
bzyguy01

Swanky,
I don't know what the exact temp would be but you'd be suprised as to the decrease in temp with one on would be as it really helps....But the CX and CX2 in stock form need no heat sinks added. Just not necessary is all. But they would decrease the temp.

Jellyson,
I never tested the old CX but the canopy design around the motors and the actual motors/battery are the same.....If I were to guess, I would get the same results but this I have not tested. Never had a problem and never felt the need to test it.

Their fine.......FLYEM!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Swanky Pants

You're right, bzyguy, just go out and fly these things! They're still a $180 TOY! How much performance are you going to squeeze out... seriously... come on!
Old 12-01-2006, 03:20 PM
bzyguy01

Exactly swanky, Keep work at work and hobbies fun. Unless of course hobbies are your business.[:-]
Old 12-01-2006, 07:05 PM
choppersrule

Bzyguy01,

I'm like you experienced heli guy too. Had the CX a year ago, then added to the fleet. Flew planks for 5 years or so. Now the helis, have 5 currently. Sold the Cx, wish I didn't. Gonna get the CX2, just for fun flying in the house this winter. Appreciate your time and efforts on the heat testing. Takes the wondering out of the equation. Kinda feel that all the blings are just the cool stuff for the companys to make money. However, as you mentioned, it's a hobby and have fun at it. Just have a big enough wallet.

I'm like Jellyson, my goal is to wake up every morning, without alot of aches and pains.

ORIGINAL: bzyguy01

Exactly swanky, Keep work at work and hobbies fun. Unless of course hobbies are your business.[:-]
Old 12-01-2006, 11:41 PM
tinchao

Just get my first CX2 today, try to fly it, it is harder than I thought, I do have a problem, why is it with my throttle all the way down, my blade still wants to spin slowly? It will not completely stop. Also, everytime I pick up the heli, it will try to spin slowly even the throttle is all the way down.

What is the function of the silver metal stick at the at the top left hand side of the handehld controller?

The 4 in 1 control unit inside the heli plastic case is loose, it is not stick to the base, also it is not center on the heli. I can press it down and then it appears to stick back on the heli, but if it is off center, will it effect the balance. (right now it is off center to the right side of the heli)

To avoid over discharge of the battery. Let said the fly time is 10 minutes, if I stop and go all the time, does the 10 minutes count only the time the motor is running or also count the the time when I am not flying (which mean the motor is not running) Please advise on these three issue. Thanks
Old 12-02-2006, 12:26 AM
ev0l

What is the function of the silver metal stick at the at the top left hand side of the handehld controller?
Its a trainer switch, teacher holds the switch on. The student on a trainer cord loses control the teacher releases the switch and saves the ship. On that note has anyone seen the trainer cord and radio combo? I need one of these for my dad.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:27 AM
bzinfinity

Spinning blade sounds like throttle trim is up, the silver stick is the trainer toggle, and you could try some foam 2 sided tape to keep the 4 in 1 down, but mine is loose also, doesn't seem to affect flight.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:42 AM
tinchao

Hi, bzinfinity
I think you are right, I check the control, the throttle trim is up, too new to this game, I review the VCD again and notice the throttle is too far up.
How about the flight time, any one can answer me about over discharge the battery? Does stand by time count too? I think it only count the time when the enginee is running.
Anyway, don't want to risk over discharge the battery, I am charging it after a short flight.

The trainer toggle, does it suppose to be down or up, I play with it so many time without knowing what is it, I forget what was the position of the silver stick when it came out of the box. Please advise.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:35 AM
bzinfinity

I'll give you my system I've been using for almost all of my choppers.

On a freshly charged battery, I make a note of two things:

1.) Trim level at 0 for Throttle - how far off the ground will the chopper get in Idle up with 2/3 left stick. (N/A for CX2, obviously)
2.) Trim level at 0 for Throttle - how far off the ground will the chopper get in Normal with 1/2 left stick.

After about 5-6 minutes of total battery ON time, I set the bird down and check 1/2 stick. It's usually fine at this point, getting close to the original height.

After 8 minutes I set it down, and test again, if at any time it takes significantly more than 1/2 stick and / or trim to get the bird to the original 1/2 stick height, I shut it down and let the battery cool off.

The CP pro battery runs longer, the times I used are for the CX2 pattern I've been following.

I know people are going to tell me I am over conservative, but... I think better safe than sorry, especially when I really don't want to buy any more 40-60$ LiPo's =D.

The trainer resets itself, it only stays in one position, if you don't have a cable hooked up it won't even do anything, no worries =D.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.